We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help on our itinerary

Talbott, Tennessee
Level Contributor
57 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Help on our itinerary

We are two couples in our early 60's planning a trip to Croatia Sept 2014. Plan to arrive in Split for 7 day cruise along coast (Split to Split). After cruise, would like to rent a car on Sunday, Sept 21 and drive north to stay one night (where/?) and then continue on to Venice and stay there for two nights. Fly back to US on Sept 24. I have seen suggestions to take ferry from Rovinj to Venice (how often does it run, do we need advance tickets). Or bus to Treste and train into Venice (again do we need to plan for advance tickets). Where would be the best place to drop car if not Rovinj? What rental car companies could we work with?

Zalakaros, Hungary
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help on our itinerary

Its probably the most frequently asked question. The problem is renting the Croatian car means leaving it in Croatia unless you want to pay a huge frop fee for venice. The ferries are actualy tourist boats not car ferrys and leave early in the mornings from Croatia to Venice! The bus situation is not much better but here is my suggestion Sept 21 rent a car in Split and drive north along the coast with a stop in Zadar, continue on to the city of Rijeka and here in Opatija which is 10 kms further. Overnight here a renowned very lovely resort with architecture from the Austro-Hungarian empire. Take the car to the rental company in Rijeka same as the one in Split and called Fleet Car rental the largest in Croatia. The bus station in Rijeka is close by and bus it to Trieste about 2 hours, then train to Venice also about 2 hours, that wil get you into Venice sometimes late afternoon on the Monday 22nd.

Talbott, Tennessee
Level Contributor
57 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help on our itinerary

Thank you Mr. Peter! I was hoping you would answer. I have seen many of your answers on TA and thought you would be the one with the answer. Thank you again!

Brighton and Hove...
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
Level Contributor
6,080 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help on our itinerary

There are lots of car rental companies that are good in Croatia - Fleet is new and not quite hitting the standard yet. I used them from Split airport this September and when my flight arrived found a sign at the desk saying that they were delivering cars. I was then the first of 5 groups of people all of whom had booked cars, and no doubt provided the flight time for arrival. Despite phoning them they did not re-appear for 20 minutes. I was then at the desk for a further 20 minutes or more while they photocopied my license. The fifth set of people - an Australian family with 2 small children - would have been stuck there for well over an hour. Car was OK but there was no water in the window washer reserve. Fleet are cheap but don't seem to have enough cars or staff.

Durham
Level Contributor
4,895 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help on our itinerary

Volotea has flights from Split to Venice early morning 22 September for 26 euros plus baggage charge. So my suggestion would be to stay in Trogir for a night and fly to Venice. It would be cheaper and quicker. There is plenty to admire in Trogir, but if you want to visit somewhere as well on the Sunday - Krka, Sibenik or Primosten.

Edited: 5:08 am, December 09, 2013
Dubrovnik, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik, Zadar, Croatia
Level Contributor
2,506 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help on our itinerary

There is a ferry running daily from Rovinj to Venice and you can book online at www.venazialines.com but, if there is this flight from Venice to Split, then I would do it and skipp all that driving for one night stay in Rovinj (although quite beautiful)

Zalakaros, Hungary
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help on our itinerary

Just in fairness to Jude C comment about Fleet and car rental business. have you ever been to Orlando, Miami, lasvegas or any major resort where your average wait is about 1 or 2 hours to get a rental vehicle, the size of the Fleet fleet ( sorry for the pun) is 1,200 cars by far the largest in Croatia, and the clientele ariving at Split airport close to 2 million this year is about 50times more than that airport was built to handle!!! In a perfect world rental car companies have washing, fuel, small service capacities on site, unfortunately in most Croatian airports this does not exist, or in the case of Split plain and simpleno room! Again i agree with what you wrote but if the car rental facility was set up to handle 5 cars a day and is now doing 5 - 10 cars an hour!! Honestly do not know the solution, but we want more and more people to come to Croatia!!

Brighton and Hove...
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
Level Contributor
6,080 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help on our itinerary

I do car hire from Split airport quite regularly - as in twice a year or more, and have also rented from Zagreb and Dubrovnik airports. I have never had a wait like this before and it was 27th September which is very low season. All the renters had pre-booked - Fleet knew how many people are coming off which flight adn left us waiting. If they have 1,200 cars, why weren't 5 of them ready?

And no, I've never been to Orlando, Miami or Las Vegas. I have flown into San Francisco and done a car hire and don't remember it being that long a wait but it was 1994.

Zalakaros, Hungary
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help on our itinerary

Without going into to many details 1200 car fleet in all of Croatia, about half of those are on rental at any given tiime, then say 600 are divided up into the 10 country locations, Dubrovnik, Split being the most active on the coast. Honest JudeC the biggest problem from my 25 odd years in the business is the following example..most cars say are on weekend or weekly rentals and say client A, is returning with a car after say a weeks use today at 11 am! Client B has made a reseservation a month ago flying into Split at 1 pm today, so the system puts his name on clientA's car. Now the problems start, instead of 11 am, client is stuck intraffic, lost, and a million other resons and shows up at noon..reasonable you would thinkj..but the system calculated 11, then time for the rental people to clean out the car, quick check, load it up with gas, and clean in and out for client B, plus half the staff go on lunch..but you see all that cleaning, checking, gas, etc..can be done in an hour usualy..but when client A is only 1 hour late..well the lineups begin!! The best comparison I always make is car rental and hotel room rental are identical...difference is the hotel room is not mobile..but how often have you arived at a hotel and the receptionist says sorry sir or madam, please come back in a couple of hours as the room service has not been done..why late check out of previous customer, groups coming in and out, technical problem in the room like AC, or Tv, or plumbing..and on and on..so hope that kind of explains it!

Brighton and Hove...
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
Level Contributor
6,080 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help on our itinerary

The problem is that I am eminently reasonable but I don't find the above explanation sufficient because that is the nature of the car hire trade - so you factor it in. I would also suggest that if people don't get back to drop cars at airports then they miss flights - this tends to focus you.

Your hotel room is going nowhere - you could always sit and have a drink. Then again the only times I haven't had a room at a hotel when I've arrived is when I arrive before the official check-in time.

Zalakaros, Hungary
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help on our itinerary

I think from a travel forum site we are now getting into a rent a car or hotel operations manual, so evryone has the info now and can make up their own minds, and at most car rental stations you have a diifferent area for returning a car..5-10 minutes and picking up a car! If any of the readers has been to Venice..MarcoPolo, would like their feedback, I was there often this summer to revieve our bike tour groups from Canada, and all 3 majors Hertz, Avis, and Europcar had lineups at their counters for car pick up of minimum 2 hours!! They have the cars, the staff, problem space!!! The counter areas inside the airport are insuficiant, the parking area that holds the rental crs is catastophic, with only limited spaces available for returning rentals and departing ones and just bogs down the whole system. Venice is saturated, and even some have gone off airport to nearby lots and locations but then the logistics of getting the renters, cars and workers back and forth between airport terminal and off site terminal kicks in..Anyway back to giving advise on Croatia!!!

Edited: 10:38 pm, December 11, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Split-Dalmatia County