We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Uluru in May - 3 kids for 3 nights

Newcastle, New...
5 posts
Save Topic
Uluru in May - 3 kids for 3 nights

I'm just curious will their be enough to do at Uluru in May for 3 nights with 3 kids. They are 14, 12 and 10.

I want them to get the most from the trip but id prefer to not hire a car, however would it be worth it to visit the kings canyon or another area?

Ultimately I would like it to be an Aboriginal cultural experience.

Thanks!

Michelle

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,288 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Uluru in May - 3 kids for 3 nights

Plenty to do in my opinion, but we really liked having a car which we hired at the airport (pre-booked) That meant we were not reliant on the tours to see sunrise, sunset at both the rock and Kata Tjuta www.nickbooth.id.au/Outback11/uluru.htm

There are wonderful walks around and into places and a number of outings you can take with the local people though I admit surprise that we saw about 5 Aboriginal people in all in our few days there; I had expected many more.

There are other things to do, such as camel rides, which we bypassed but which may entertain the kids. Many tours are available

www.ayersrockresort.com.au/indigenous-tours/ and a number of free happenings http://www.ayersrockresort.com.au/activities/

There is a shuttle bus that runs for free around the circuit of the village and accommodation and you can eat in any of the resorts, either casually or more formally. Food and drink is shipped in by road, so is quite expensive. You can take some food with you but you cannot take your own fruit in.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
12,456 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Uluru in May - 3 kids for 3 nights

Depending on what you plan to do at Uluru, 3 nights might be just about right or it might be one night too many. If you enjoy hiking, you could easily fill your time with the hikes at Uluru and Kata Tjuta. However, if your family doesn't enjoy hiking, there probably isn't enough to do for 3 nights. And due to its distance from Uluru (5 - 6 hour drive one way), Kings Canyon would take a minimum of 2 days/1 night, so that wouldn't be feasible.

I would strongly urge you to consider renting a car. Without a car, you'll be reliant on the Uluru Express shuttle and/or organized tours. For a family of 4 or 5, that is going to wind up costing you a lot of money and severely limit your flexibility in seeing and doing things. .

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,142 posts
1,407 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Uluru in May - 3 kids for 3 nights

Another vote for hiring a car !

Have a read through the link below its full of helpful tips on what to do .. to keep everyone entertained.

tripadvisor.com.au/GoListDetail-i17672-Uluru…

Oz
Level Contributor
12,300 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Uluru in May - 3 kids for 3 nights

Hi,

IMHO there is plenty to interest you all at Uluru/ Kata-Juta providing you are all good walkers. However you do need to hire a car to make the most of the area. Check out the "Things to do tab" and the ranger/traditional owners guided walks.

Cheers,

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,069 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Uluru in May - 3 kids for 3 nights

I'd personally never not recommend Uluru, but as mentioned by longhorn and OZ, you really need to be keen walkers, and even then I fear that three days maybe a day too long for your kids. I guess it depends entirely on what your kids/family interests are, but I too agree that a car is a must.

6. Re: Uluru in May - 3 kids for 3 nights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, November 25, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Uluru-Kata Tjuta...