We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Uluru with young kids

Which Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
2 posts
Save Topic
Uluru with young kids

Hello everyone

I am travelling to Ayers Rock for a conference in July with my 3 and 5yo kids and husband.

We will stay at the Emu Walk self contained apartments.

It seems most organised tours and for 5 + yo only, so this limits us.

- Asking for any suggestions for things to do with young kids.

- Is there a pool, and does everyone have access to it?

- Can everyone access the day spa?

- Are there (free) shuttle buses to Uluru and Kata Tjuta base car parks (where you start the walks?) or are we better getting a car and drive ourselves? I imagine we will watch sunrise or set each day we are there.

- Can you hire bikes and is there anywhere to ride them?

Thankyou so much to anyone who can help with these questions.

Happy travels!

Darwin
Level Contributor
2,096 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Uluru with young kids

I went to Uluru when my kids were 5 and 10. I would hire a car just because then you have freedom in respect of coming and going times. The resorts have a shuttle bus which goes around the resort area but not to the look outs or cultural centre. The walks are good and there are free guided ones from the visitor centre. The walks are great around Kata Tjuta just pack some nibblies for the kids. Lou

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
11,972 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Uluru with young kids

When we went to Uluru for the first time, our older child was 3 years old. (The younger was a baby.) She enjoyed walking around the grounds of Yulara Village with me and there was some sort of children's activity going on at the Visitor's Center that she participated in. (July school holidays) We also did the 9km loop walk around Uluru and a short walk at Kata Tjuta.

The guests at Emu Walk Apartments (where we stayed on our 2nd visit to Uluru) can use the pool at the Desert Gardens Hotel, but I'm not even sure if the pool is open in July. While the days are pleasant, the temps only get up to around 20 degrees and it's really cold at night--3 to 4 degrees. (My daughter was in her winter coat when she was outdoors at night.) I can't imagine going swimming with those temperatures.

As Lou says, you'll want to rent a car. Even if you could do the tours, they are a pricey way to get around and they really limit what you can see and do. Uluru Express runs a shuttle from Yulara Village to Uluru and Kata Tjuta, but it doesn't give you as much flexibility as a car and it's also pricey.

Melbourne, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Uluru with young kids

Thankyou Lou, much appreciated.

4. Re: Uluru with young kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, May 07, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Uluru-Kata Tjuta...