We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving Kata Tjuta Park

Charlotte
Level Contributor
47 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Driving Kata Tjuta Park

Am I to understand that you get to different parts of the park by driving to locations where you can park and walk on trails, therefore it is more affordable than taking seperate tours? If my flight arrives at noon and I just have that afternoon and the next day, should i drive directly to the park to make the most of the day?I want to do as much as I can in 1.5 days

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
13,480 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving Kata Tjuta Park

If you are traveling alone, the cost of a tour may be no more than the cost of a rental car. (You'd have to price this out.) But having the flexibility to go WHERE you want to go WHEN you want to go is, IMHO, priceless. Driving around Uluru and Kata Tjuta is not at all difficult and the roads are all paved so there is no need to rent a 4WD. (Any size sedan will do fine.)

With 1.5 days, you'd have time to drive to both Uluru and Kata Tjuta and do a number of walks. You'd also be able to drive over for sunset or sunrise viewing.

I have been to Uluru twice--once depending on shuttles and tours; once using a rental car. Having a rental car was FAR superior.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,576 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving Kata Tjuta Park

I would agree that hiring a car is the way to go.

What time of year are you coming? You will land at the hottest part of the day so I would check into your hotel first, then head out to Uluru, drive around and get up close then enjoy sunset at the sunset viewing area.

Next day I would recommend watching the sunrise over Uluru then do the base walk. Back to hotel for a break then off to Kata Tjuta for a walk (there is a long option and a short option depending on how you feel), followed by sunset.

Enjoy!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
90,117 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving Kata Tjuta Park

Be sure to book a car well in advance. The number of rental cars is limited, and a walk-up rental may not be possible.

Charlotte
Level Contributor
47 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving Kata Tjuta Park

thanks longhorn..I have read your other posts on this.$200 for car hire costs as much as the 3 tours I would take in 2 days....but the flexibility is definitely the benefit.Thanks!

Charlotte
Level Contributor
47 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving Kata Tjuta Park

Thanks Shazdwn, I am coming in mid october and I pretty much have your plan in mind..I thought I would go straight from airport to do the 3 hour walk around the base and stay for sunset.That way I can get a solid dose of the place and do the ranger walk the next morning too.If I take provisions,I plan to spend the entire next day at Kata Tjuta directly after ranger walk.Staying at the dormlike facility, so not all that interested in hanging out there for a break.If its real hot though, I guess a break at a coffee shop would make the day more pleasant.

Charlotte
Level Contributor
47 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving Kata Tjuta Park

Thanks sydneynick,thats exactly what i am thinking ...to book this week.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,833 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving Kata Tjuta Park

Chceck on the Voyages website, they often have an unlimited km special, although it is hard to do the kms you may with just one day hire

Charlotte
Level Contributor
47 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving Kata Tjuta Park

I think I will be ok on 100km for 1.5 days from my calculations.Thanks!

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,482 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving Kata Tjuta Park

I don't think you can drive Yulara -> Uluru & Yulara -> Olgas and stay under 100km. You may not too far over, though.

Charlotte
Level Contributor
47 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving Kata Tjuta Park

oops, I meant 100km a day.first day just back and forth to uluru, so the balance will be ok to olgas the next day.thanks for your attentiveness!

Get answers to your questions about Uluru-Kata Tjuta...