We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

12 days melb to Uluru return in campervan

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
12 days melb to Uluru return in campervan

We know flying is the quickest way but we want to take our campervan from Melb to Uluru and return. We only have 12 days.

Can anyone help with the following:

1. Is April school holidays or September school holidays the better time to travel ie (least amount of tourists?!!)

2. I know it takes 3 days each way to get there from Melb but can you return via another route from Uluru to see other places rather than driving back the same way? ie could we come home via the Flinders ranges or would this take too long?

3. Is it worth visiting Alice Springs - we're not really into towns unless there are lots of attractions to see.

4. Will 6 days be enough to explore Uluru, The Olgas in Kings Canyon?

Hoping to hear from someone VERY soon as I've just found out I have to book my leave by Thursday if we want to travel in April!!

Many thanks for your time and hopefully you can assist with our decision as many Trip Advisors have done so in the past.

Cheers, Digby

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,239 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 12 days melb to Uluru return in campervan

I take it you realise that you will spend 3 days each way looking at scenery like this? nickbooth.id.au/Outback11/images/d5deserthig…

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,533 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 12 days melb to Uluru return in campervan

April and September are both good months to travel to the Centre weather wise. I doubt tourist numbers would vary greatly between the two. I guess it just depends how soon you want to get started on your adventure.

6 days is plenty to see Uluru, Kata Tjuta and Kings Canyon and spend a day or two in Alice as well. The Old Telegraph Station and Desert Park are good to visit in Alice. Out of town you could spend a day visiting the McDonnell Ranges.

If you want to visit Flinders Ranges on the way back I would drop a day or two in the Centre (so really you need to decide Alice or Flinders). Personally I would choose Flinders Ranges.

Have fun

Edited: 5:54 am, March 05, 2013
Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,533 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 12 days melb to Uluru return in campervan

Not everyone thinks that's a bad thing Nick.

Live and let live.

4. Re: 12 days melb to Uluru return in campervan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, March 07, 2014