We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
250 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Driving

How difficult is the drive from Ayers Rock to King's canyon and then to Alice Springs? Is it difficult to get used to driving on the other side of the road?

Mentioned in this post
Alice Springs
Alice Springs
Red Centre, Australia
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Driving

Hello!

Would you all recommend driving instead of taking a 3 day guided tour ? We are two in our late twenties and want to camp. Also on a budget...!

I've read many good reviews about The Rock Tour Company and can't make up my mind between self-drive (+rent camping equipment) vs a bush camp guided tour...

What are the big pros and cons?

We were also concerned with the driving challenges, but not any more after reading this post ! :)

Dee Why, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Driving

Hi,

Whatever you do, PLEASE DO NOT DRIVE DOWN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD! Keep your partner "in the gutter", as suggested earlier.

Watch out for Road Trains, wild horses, we had 3 of them run across the road in front of us, and we were towing our caravan! Also, had 2 running, wild eyed RIGHT NEXT TO passenger side window, MY window while towing our van. VERY SCARY. Thus was while we were driving back from Kings Canyon.

A bit of fun, there is an "UNDIE TREE" out along the road somewhere out that way, just can't remember where exactly, where all sorts of men's, ladies and children's undies - knickers, underpants etc, are hung on the tree. I hung a pair of my Breast Cancer Fundraiser knickers on the tree!

Enjoy your trip, just take care and DON'T drive at dusk or early morning if you can help,it, if you do look out for Kangaroos etc.

Cheers Selma 😃

Mentioned in this post
Kings Canyon
Kings Canyon
Red Centre, Australia
13. Re: Driving

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, April 25, 2014