We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel insurance for Uluru?

Which Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Travel insurance for Uluru?

Hello,

I am wondering whether to purchase travel insurance for my upcoming vacation to Australia. We have a 2 week trip planned (Dec 21-Jan 6), starting with a few days in Sydney, a coastal drive down to Melbourne and ending with a couple of days in Uluru before flying back to Sydney and on to the US. The Voyages travel centre with which we booked our Uluru portion of the trip is "encouraging" me to do so, but perhaps they are just trying to make some more money off me. My husband and I are on a budget so really do not want to spend several hundred dollars for an unnecessary expense. Suggestions?

Thanks!

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Travel insurance for Uluru?

depends on the usa health insurance policy.

not all cover overseas health expenses.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,568 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Travel insurance for Uluru?

<<,Yes, things happen and people do get injured or become ill in Australia. But medical care there is excellent and I should know since I and my family members had to be hospitalized on more than one occasion when we lived there. I'm not even sure why one would need to be medevac'd back to the U.S.--it would have to be something quite extreme.>>>

BUT if you are not an Australian resident you WILL have to pay and it will cost heaps. I have worked in the health industry for many years and know of LOTS of people who have been medivacked in both directions from/to Australia. Its not that uncommon - and it costs $100,000's.

Regarding travel agents promoting travel insurance in Australia they are actually legally required to remind their clients that they should buy travel insurance.

Oz
Level Contributor
12,113 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Travel insurance for Uluru?

Hi nozzie,

I suspected from your avatar that you worked in health care. Which doctor? Witch doctor?

Cheers,

Maui
Level Contributor
2,401 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Travel insurance for Uluru?

Hi.....There is a web site called insure my trip dot com. From there you can choose a bunch of different policies. I really like Tru-Travel. You can book through their web site or go through insure my trip's site.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,322 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Travel insurance for Uluru?

Nice one, OzRCFlyer. :)

Maui
Level Contributor
2,401 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Travel insurance for Uluru?

Oh I see that Longhorn also recommended the same site.......oops.

Cary, NC
Level Contributor
252 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Travel insurance for Uluru?

I totally agree with longhorn74! My BCBS insurance covers the medical expenses incurred outside US. I did buy medical evacuation insurance with the Flying Doctors when I went to Tanzania for safari.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,266 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Travel insurance for Uluru?

But medical insurance is unlikely to cover the costs of your travelling companion having to stay on in accommodation not paid for, plus cancelling other accommodation, flights missed and so on. Insurance costs just a few hundred dollars. Compared with the cost of the trip it is peanuts for peace of mind.

I keep seeing people saying they take insurance because of the ill health of others or themselves. This is a bit weird, as pre-existing medical conditions in yourselves or close relatives are expressly NOT covered by most travel insurance policies unless a very large additional fee is paid and the condition approved.

Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Travel insurance for Uluru?

Perhaps things are different in Australia, but obtaining insurance for pre-existing conditions is not at all difficult or expensive in the U.S. Many travel insurance policies offer coverage for pre-existing conditions of the policyholder and his/her family (parents, grandparents, children, etc.) at no additional charge provided the policyholder buys the insurance within a stated period (usually 10 - 15 days) after making the initial payment for the trip.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,071 posts
1,390 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Travel insurance for Uluru?

Its called doing your own homework....

If you don't want to spend the cash for insurance; its your on your own back.

if you do want insurance then do what we all do ... research for the best policy to suit your own needs,

Get answers to your questions about Uluru-Kata Tjuta...