We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Uluru in late Jan with a 5 month old baby - are we mad?

Which Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
uk
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Uluru in late Jan with a 5 month old baby - are we mad?

My partner and I are planning on spending 6 weeks in Australia in January/February next year.

Most of our time will be spent slowly travelling between Sydney and Adelaide which are areas we've both visited before and adore.

We are considering a detour up to Uluru, flying up there from Sydney. We will have our daughter with us who will be five months old at the time.

Just wondering if people have an opinion on how practical that is? We've never made it to the red centre before.We would plan on hiring

our own car to make getting around easier.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Uluru in late Jan with a 5 month old baby - are we mad?

Temperatures will be hovering around 36-40 C / 97-104 F, and the sun will be scorching. Babies are more likely than adults to suffer from dehydration, heat exhaustion and sunburn. I don't know if the walking tracks and trails around Uluru - Kata Tjuta are 'pram/strolller friendly' (I haven't been there for a number of years). Lots of flys so you would need netting over pram.

10am - 3pm are when harmful UV rays are at their strongest - baby should stay inside during these times. At other times baby should be in full shade when you are outside ie. where the sun cannot reach the ground at all and where there is no reflected sunlight likely to reach bubs.

Dress babies in clothing that block the sun's rays, such as wide-brimmed hats and long-sleeved shirts, and use full protection (SPF 30+) waterproof sunscreen.

Stay somewhere with airconditioning (not a tent!), and stay inside during the hottest times of the day.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,106 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Uluru in late Jan with a 5 month old baby - are we mad?

I wouldn't go there myself at that time of year let alone take a baby. Save Uluru for a future visit when you can avoid summer.You have a fair chance of experiencing extreme heat conditions travelling Sydney to Adelaide at that time of year as well. Further information on sun protection raisingchildren.net.au/articles/…430

Australia
Level Contributor
445 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Uluru in late Jan with a 5 month old baby - are we mad?

Hi Geordie engine, I would not consider you mad in wanting to visit the Red Centre. I have just come back from there and it blew me away. BUT you obviously want an honest answer so in my opinion I would not attempt the Red Centre in the middle of the Australian summer. And ditto to all of the above posts. I come from a very hot area of NSW and there are days out here in the summer where the hot westerly winds blow and if you are outside you can hardly breathe for the heat and the sun burns as if you are in an oven, and all that with the flies. If you are driving between Sydney and Adelaide have you considered going via the Great Ocean Road in Victoria? A beautiful part of Australia and much, much cooler. if you reconsider your ideas maybe we can steer you in other directions.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,824 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Uluru in late Jan with a 5 month old baby - are we mad?

Here's another vote for "don't do it" - you've got no idea just how hot it can get here in Australia in summer! I recall when my son was a baby my mother-in-law came to Oz for a holiday and we took her to the beach. We (my son and I) spent the whole time under a huge tree, on the grass, nowhere near the sand. He had on a hat and a t-shirt and when we got home I found that he'd been burned and ended up with small blisters! To this day I have no idea how it happened, but it did and it goes to show how tender and sensitive a baby's skin is.

Again, I wouldn't be going to Uluru myself at the height of summer, let alone take a small baby.

(I purposely didn't go near the water/sand because both my son and I are fair skinned with red hair and I know from experience just how quickly I burn and he would have burned much quicker than I did, hence staying under that tree - a Moreton Bay Fig, from memory)

Edited: 6:15 pm, September 01, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,789 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Uluru in late Jan with a 5 month old baby - are we mad?

I don't see a huge difference between driving the inland route and going to Uluru.

Both during January can be stifling and totally unpleasant and while babies thrive in these areas I wouldn't be in any rush to take baby thru there in mid summer.

Don;t rely on having a car with aircon, from experience i know on more than one occasion, cars we have hired/owned have struggled when the temps have gone beyond 42. and on 3 of these occasions that was in Adelaide and not inland!

Try and stick to the coastal routes, don't rely on shade for protection (UV bounces up from sand and water)

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,412 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Uluru in late Jan with a 5 month old baby - are we mad?

another 'don't do it' vote. Even if you keep baby totally shaded, you still run the risk of dehydration with a munchkin that small in that kind of heat.... next stop could be hospital and that is a sure way to ruin your trip.

GOR sounds like a much nicer option.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Penang
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Uluru in late Jan with a 5 month old baby - are we mad?

definately do not think of it with such a young one

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,918 posts
1,361 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Uluru in late Jan with a 5 month old baby - are we mad?

Another vote for don't do it in Jan with a baby. The temps go into the 40's & its super uncomfortable. Adults could handle it if they explored the region in the early mornings or late afternoon's but a baby is different & as mentioned above they suffer from dehydration more quickly than adults.

Come back another time & visit Uluru in Spring or Autumn when the weather is enjoyable.

Edited: 4:45 am, September 03, 2012
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,050 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Uluru in late Jan with a 5 month old baby - are we mad?

Average Jan/Feb temp at Uluru ...36.5 dg. Hottest day recorded 45.5 dg WHY WOULD ANYBODY go there in summer? For info on babies and heat .. healthdirect.org.au/health-information-servi…

Edited: 7:03 am, September 03, 2012
Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,748 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Uluru in late Jan with a 5 month old baby - are we mad?

Vote # 10 for NO.

There's always a big push on Australians roads for 'Stop. Revive.Survive' every 2 hours. The problem is that with the flies and the heat there's nowhere in the outback that you can comfortably stop, stretch your legs and have a rest before continuing you journey. At best you can pull over with the engine running so that the a/c still works.

You wouldn't want to spoil little Borisina's peaches and cream complexion at such a young age. :-) Have you ever been to Tasmania? Fabulous time to visit.

Get answers to your questions about Uluru-Kata Tjuta...