We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reasonably priced accomodation in Uluru

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
31 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Reasonably priced accomodation in Uluru

Hello,

First: please help us with some info abut reasonably priced lodging in Ayers Rock/Uluru area because everything we have seen on line is very expensive. We are going at the end of May (26-28 - so two nights).

Second: Are there cars with unlimited km we can rent in Ayers Rock? We arrive there and leave from there.

I really appreciate your help and any info. Thanks.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
90,260 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reasonably priced accomodation in Uluru

The accommodation at Uluru is a monopoly and is expensive. Bear in mind that everything used at the resort has to be trucked a very long distance to get there.

There are only the major car rental companies, and I think they provide unlimited km. Book well in advance: there are often no walk-up rentals available.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,168 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reasonably priced accomodation in Uluru

Have a look at online booking sites such as www.wotif.com.au Expedia www.hotelscombined.com.au

Often you can see better rates there. If you then contact the resort they may match the price. We did this for our upcoming visit & saved quite a bit of $$$

Australia
Level Contributor
127 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reasonably priced accomodation in Uluru

Just back, Car rental is 100klm a day included, we hired for 2 days and paid $10 for extra klms. That was 2 times to the rock and once to Olgas. Beware fuel is $2.13per litre, Brisbane price is $1.41 today. Stay in the cheapest accom, with sunrise and sunset viewings and hiking to be done, can't justify $400 at Sails and the noise from renovations is dreadful. Outdoor Pioneer Hotel is fine!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
31 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reasonably priced accomodation in Uluru

Thank you so much!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reasonably priced accomodation in Uluru

We just got back from Uluru earlier this week and had a great time. We had originally booked at the Lost Camel Hotel but were upgraded to Desert Gardens because of renovations. The room was $238/night which seemed excessive but we didn't want to do shared bathrooms or anything at the Pioneer Hotel.

We rented with Thrifty and for 3 days it turned out to be $161. I'd definitely recommend looking online for prices -- when we looked it was cheaper to pick up from the airport versus the resort. The car came with 100 km and extra km were 33 cents each.

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
881 posts
975 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reasonably priced accomodation in Uluru

I'm planning a trip to the Outback for my family next (Australian) winter. Two adults and 3 (young teen) children. I haven't been to Ayer's Rock (does anyone still call it that?) in 20 years, but I remember accomodations being ridiculously expensive back then. And I see that they still are! In situations like this, I usually try to use my hotel loyalty points, but it doesn't seem like any of the Uluru hotels are affiliated with the int'l chains.

Given the cost, we're just looking for basic, clean accomodations. A private bathroom would be best, but we'd consider anything that's clean and safe. Are there ever any discounts aimed at Australians (but available to foreigners)? I've just subscribed to the "travels" newsletter for Australia Groupon looking for deals.

Thanks for the advice.

Australia
Level Contributor
447 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Reasonably priced accomodation in Uluru

Went to the red centre in middle of august for 6 days. What an absolutely amazing place.

We hired a car from thrifty, and had unlimited kilometers.

Accommodation was not cheap and I guess the only cheap option would be to camp, but even that is pricey.

We bought our own breakfast and lunches for everyday at the supermarket at Yulara I think we may have saved something close to $400. Meals are very expensive so what we had to do was just have the mindset that it is more money than you would normally pay but the experience was tremendous. We paid $25 a head for a three day pass to ayers rock and the olgas. I think there is only one option and that is to save before you go. Enjoy.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,168 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Reasonably priced accomodation in Uluru

Dave - for a family of 5 the most 'economical' is probably going to work out to be the Emu Run Apartments if you want private bathrooms, otherwise the hostel/bunk rooms at the Outback Pioneer Lodge may be suitable. Compare the prices on booking sites such as wotif wotif.com/hotels/australia-nt-ayers-rock-ulu… to that offered by the Resort (Voyages own all the accommodation at Uluru). AS I mentioned in post #5 the resort matched the wotif price for us.

pa
Level Contributor
888 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Reasonably priced accomodation in Uluru

Our family of 5 stayed at th e Emu apartments it was a little pricey but we had a kitchen with a stove and microwave, so we bought groceries from the IGA which wasn't as expensive as I thought it would be and saved major $$$ over eating at the restaurants. We saw one place that was $54 a person!!! Definitely not what I'll pay just for food!! So check your options it may be cheaper in the long run to not have to eat out.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Reasonably priced accomodation in Uluru

"We saw one place that was $54 a person!!!

dont know why that is so shocking.

it's pretty normal pricing for a starter and main in sydney

Get answers to your questions about Uluru-Kata Tjuta...