We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wedding Proposal Ideas

Canberra
Level Contributor
2 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Wedding Proposal Ideas

Hi all,

My partner and I are travelling from Brisbane to Uluru and Kings Canyon for 4-5 nights in November. I'm planning on popping the question while we are away as I figured there would be some impressive beauty all around and it would just set the mood. I've seen a helicopter proposal at Uluru, but I don't like the idea of it. Having never been there though, I'm not sure when the right time to do it would be.

We're planning on doing the following:

Day 1: an afternoon/sunset at Uluru

Day 2: dawn at Kata Tjuta and spend some time doing the Valley of the Winds Walk ans the Walpa Walk, sunset at Kata Tjuta.

Day 3: Dawn at Uluru/base walk (no climb), spare time over lunch (Maybe do the Kantju Waterhole or Mala Walk). Sounds of Silence Dinner

Day 4: Drive to Kings Canyon at leisure- probably staying in Kings Canyon Resort in a Spa Room. Have the "Under a Desert Moon Dinner" either tonight or tomorrow night

Day 5: Explore the canyon doing the KC Loop Walk, Lost City and Garden of Eden walks.

Day 6: Drive back to Uluru for flight home.

A few things stick out to me. I've heard the Sounds of Silence dinner is amazing, so thought maybe on our last night in Uluru I could somehow do it then. Another idea I briefly thought about is to somehow get a guide to take us to some cave drawings, but instead of interpreting them as they should be, he/she could interpret it into a story about us (but not obviously) and lead me into a proposal of sorts. Thoughts? Open to many ideas :)

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wedding Proposal Ideas

Wow the cave drawings idea is amazing.

Now that's romantic and such a big surprise. Even better if it were a group tour and someone let the others know beforehand that it was happening.

Your fiance would have no idea whatsoever then.

Or a hot air balloon trip and have someone on the ground near where you are landing do the "will you marry me" writing on the ground?

all the very best with the proposal

London
Level Contributor
513 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wedding Proposal Ideas

+1 for the cave drawing (perhaps the guide could plant a bottle of champagne and some glasses beforehand)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
31,126 posts
2,006 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wedding Proposal Ideas

Cool idea lifetraveller....

The problem you have is there are sooo many wonderful moments & locations you can experience whilst exploring Uluru.

Uluru has a very magical & unique spiritual essence; a moment can seep into your ordinary life & capture beauty instantly. I suggest you hang onto the ring & wait patiently for that " magical moment ".

How exiting !! I wish you & your partner the best moment that will last for a lifetime. !

TIP : I would email Voyages & ask for their suggestions & ideas. Sometimes its absolutely amazing what a hotel can deliver for a special occasion.

http://www.ayersrockresort.com.au/

Perth
Level Contributor
7 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wedding Proposal Ideas

Before I finished reading your post I was thinking the Sounds of Silence Dinner would be a great idea.

They have Champagne and Canapes as the sun sets overlooking Ayer's Rock and the Olgas and then after that they walk over a sand-dune to the dining area set out in the middle of the desert. After dinner they have a Star Gazing "guru" come in and give a talk about the various constellations which may also be a nice time to "pop" the question. I'm sure that the staff could arrange something amazing for you.

The indigenous painting idea is also fantastic but may be a little more difficult to arrange although not impossible. If you need some contacts for Tour Guides at Ayer's Rock then let me know and I'll see what I can come up with.

Best of luck and a long and fruitful life together!

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
30,728 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wedding Proposal Ideas

A few comments:

1. IMO, the Sounds of Silence dinner is not all that great. Under a Desert Moon at Kings Canyon is vastly better. SofS is too big - 60-70 people, eight to a table - and is a glorified buffet. Read the reviews. UDM is max 6 couples at individual tables, 6 course degustation with waiter service.

2. The Cave Hill Tour from Uluru is very good and is the best opportunity you'll get to see quality cave paintings in Central Australia. However, it takes an entire day and the site is a dreaming location for the Seven Sisters songline and is the scene of an attempted rape of the youngest sister. Perhaps not an ideal venue for a proposal. :(

http://www.ayersrockresort.com.au/cave-hill/

3. The Kings Canyon rim walk is very good but strenuous.

If I may offer a suggestion, I'd go with the spa room at Kings Canyon and plan for a romantic spa proposal after Under a Desert Moon. It's a great place and the spa rooms are rather nice, large rooms backing onto a rocky ridge. Just ring reception ahead and ask for the adjacent room to be vacant. Shouldn't be a problem as they try to do this anyway. Pairs of rooms have adjacent balconies and you could lose your privacy that way.

Luigi

Canberra
Level Contributor
2 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wedding Proposal Ideas

Wow, thanks everyone for your tips and help so far. I was most likely going to ring both hotels in any event to tee things up, but I wanted to have a firmer idea of what I wanted to do prior to calling them. Luigi - thanks for the advice on the KC Resort. We've already booked a spa room, but good point on the request to have the adjacent room left free if possible. Also, thanks for the advice on the size of the SOS dinner, thats quite large.

As for the hot air balloon idea lifetraveller, its not really my thing - i don't really want to do an aerial proposal and on top of that, she's terrified of heights and a balloon would kill her :(

These are great pieces of info everyone, they are really appreciated and thanks for all the well wishes too!

Edited: 10:50 pm, August 04, 2011
Darwin
Level Contributor
2,096 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wedding Proposal Ideas

We did the Kata Tjuta walks two years ago. On the longer walk there are sections you don't bump into another walker for ages. Around half way there is a large rock area that you go down. There is an absolutely stunning view at this point. No one but you, your girlfriend and a ring. Very quiet area and she wouldn't be expecting it out there.

Remember the alchol restrictions at Uluru.

Lou

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,136 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wedding Proposal Ideas

I am totally with Ellemay on this one. Keep that ring in your pocket and propose when the mood is right. Don't let a great opportunity pass by in favour of something organised. Romance is spontaneous. You can't force it. IMHO.

New York
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wedding Proposal Ideas

hi helpful people.

On the same topic, I am going to visit my girlfriend's family for the first time in Perth. I want to propose during the visit but know absolutely nothing about Perth. Am seeking a nice, classy location for the proposal - is there anything that can be suggested outside of that mentioned above (i.e. Sounds of Silence dinner and the cave drawings)? Am even happy with something expensive if it was worth it!

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
30,728 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wedding Proposal Ideas

Lobster, it would be best to ask this question on the Perth forum here: tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g255103-i531-Perth…

Anyway, IMO the answer is Kings Garden: http://www.bgpa.wa.gov.au/

And it's free.

Luigi

Edited: 3:18 am, May 06, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Uluru-Kata Tjuta...