We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canoeing on the Katherine River during The Ghan Whistle Stop

Which Katherine hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
74 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Canoeing on the Katherine River during The Ghan Whistle Stop

I am planning to do the "Canoeing on the Katherine River during The Ghan Whistle Stop" .

Has anyone done this lately?

Is it worth it or should I choose the Boat Cruise instead?

Helicopter ride would be ideal but can't afford it.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,112 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Canoeing on the Katherine River during The Ghan Whistle Stop

I've flown in a helicopter up Katherine Gorge and it's fantastic. The boat trip goes up a few of the "stairs", from waterfall to waterfall, but not nearly as far as the helicopter. The canoe trip does one or two of the steps.

So that's my sequence of recommendations, too.

But I'd also make sure the canoe trip actually is in the gorge. In my perusal of the website, it just says "Katherine River". Make sure it's in the gorge before booking.

Luigi

Kakadu
Level Contributor
106 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Canoeing on the Katherine River during The Ghan Whistle Stop

The canoe departs at the same spot as the cruise, but given the short time of the whistle stop you would only get to canoe around the departure area, to really enjoy the experience of canoeing the gorge you would need at least 2.5 hours, and thats power paddling. The cruise for the ghan passengers has been shortened to fit in with the train's timetable. To shorten the canoe experience would in my book make it not very worthwhile. Unless you are not really that interested in the gorge and you would prefer some phisical activity after the train ride, and a chance to get wet - then do the canoes. If you avctually want to see some of the gorge do the cruise.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
74 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Canoeing on the Katherine River during The Ghan Whistle Stop

Hi kenhoath,

What you said makes a lot of sense.

I guess I will skip the conoeing and go for the cruise.

Thanks

Wagga Wagga...
Level Contributor
696 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Canoeing on the Katherine River during The Ghan Whistle Stop

I'm making this decision also for our Ghan trip. I can't seem to find pricing anywhere for the whistle stop tours, just says you book them onboard - which makes me nervous prices will be exorbitant given we're a captive audience. We plan to do our own thing in Alice, but in Katherine really do want to do the Gorge tour. Does anyone know the price for the Ghan's whistle stop tour, or if there's a way you can do it yourself?

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
559 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Canoeing on the Katherine River during The Ghan Whistle Stop

hi,

…greatsouthernrail.com.au/our-trains/the-gha…

google is your friend :)

enjoy!

Wagga Wagga...
Level Contributor
696 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Canoeing on the Katherine River during The Ghan Whistle Stop

Thanks Roger. Would you believe I found this myself about 10mins ago and was hoping no one would notice I'd asked a question that should have been easily answered by google!!!

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
11,972 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Canoeing on the Katherine River during The Ghan Whistle Stop

For those considering the Katherine River canoe trip, Luigi makes a good point about making sure that the canoeing actually takes place in Katherine Gorge. I just read the description of this trip and it mentions having a wander around the Springvale Homestead, time permitting. I've canoed on Katherine Gorge and I've been to Springvale Homestead and, as I recall, those two places are not near each other. I suspect that this excursion is canoeing on the river bordering Springvale Homestead and not on the river through the gorge.

Edited: 11:45 pm, August 08, 2010
Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin, Kakadu National Park
Level Contributor
2,753 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Canoeing on the Katherine River during The Ghan Whistle Stop

On the Ghan website on Whistle Stop tours gsr.com.au/site/…whistle_stop_tours.jsp it calls the canoeing tour First Gorge Canoeing so it will do the First Gorge, I suppose how much you see will depend on how fit you all are. But the tour you refer to is called Canoeing on the Katherine River but is this through another agency? The other web site uses Katherine River when referring to trips outside the Gorge proper.

9. Re: Canoeing on the Katherine River during The Ghan Whistle Stop

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:21 am, February 06, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Katherine
More Katherine Topics