We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking tours to Kakadu and Litchfield

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
11 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Booking tours to Kakadu and Litchfield

I am planning to go to Darwin from 7 aug to 17 aug. I booked the first 3 nights and last night staying in a Darwin hotel. There are 7 nights in the middle of the trip that I haven't arranged any accomodation. Im just wondering if I can book the tours to Kakadu and litchfield after I arrived in Darwin. Will it be too late to confirm a place to stay? Just quite worried.

4 of us just wanna stay in Kakadu for 3 days and one day in Litchfiled. What other suggested options? Will the trip be too long?

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
12,622 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booking tours to Kakadu and Litchfield

Because the accommodations in Kakadu are limited, you might want to start there first and arrange you trip around when you can stay there. Batchelor would be a logical place to stay after touring Litchfield, but Litchfield can also be done as a day trip out of Darwin. (That's how we've done it on two occasions.) The rest of your Northern Territory vacation can easily be spent in Katherine. There's enough (for me) to see and do in that area for at least a week--Katherine Gorge, Edith Falls, Mataranka, Elsey NP, etc.

And as I mentioned in another thread of yours, there's no need to book tours to Kakadu and Litchfield. They can easily be done on your own with a rental car, which would definitely be a less expensive option for 4 people.

Edited: 11:49 am, May 03, 2014
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
11 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booking tours to Kakadu and Litchfield

Thanks so much. Your information is very helpful. So that means I should book the accomodation in Kakadu first before we arrive in Darwin right? Another concern of mine is that do I need a professional tour guide in touring around Kakadu and Litchfield? I heard scary stories about tourists jumping in cros's waters and got killed. Do I need a 4WD and is there any GPS? Is it safe to drive around the parks on our own? Any suggested car rental co.?

Many thanks

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
11 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Booking tours to Kakadu and Litchfield

Thanks so much. Your information is very helpful. So that means I should book the accomodation in Kakadu first before we arrive in Darwin right? Another concern of mine is that do I need a professional tour guide in touring around Kakadu and Litchfield? I heard scary stories about tourists jumping in cros's waters and got killed. Do I need a 4WD and is there any GPS? Is it safe to drive around the parks on our own? Any suggested car rental co.?

Many thanks

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
12,622 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Booking tours to Kakadu and Litchfield

Yes, I would definitely book your accommodations in Kakadu before arriving in Darwin and I would do it as soon as you can. August is one of the prime time for visitors.

As I mentioned in another of your threads, there is no need for a professional guide to tour either Litchfield or Kakadu. Some people enjoy guided tours, but they certainly aren't necessary in either of these places. You also don't need to rent a 4WD to see either Kakadu or Litchfield. There are some roads in both parks that require 4WD, but almost all of the major sites can be accessed using 2WD. I've been to both parks a couple of times and there was more than enough to see via the paved roads. I would only recommend renting a 4WD if you absolutely know that there are some sites you want to see which can only be accessed by 4WD. (Check the park maps online.) Also, I can't see how a GPS would be of much use where you are going. There are a limited number of roads in the parks (and in the Top End of the Northern Territiory itself), so you should easily be able to get around with a decent map like those you'll find online.

Are you saying you heard scary stories about tourists jumping in crocodile-infested waters and they were killed? Of course they were! No reasonable person would jump into crocodile-infested waters! The parks are safe and any unsafe areas/conditions are well-signposted.

I hope you enjoy your trip. The Top End is one of my favorite areas in Australia.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
11 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Booking tours to Kakadu and Litchfield

That is wonderful. Thanks so much.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Booking tours to Kakadu and Litchfield

My best advice is to read up some guide books and websites about what to do in the area if you are not going to get a guided tour. ( you should do that anyway)

google Bowali Visitors centre for the best advice for park information.

Its not hard to find your way. The area is well sign posted and lots of tourists in peak season. If you stay to main roads-and dont drive drive up random unsignposted roads all will be fine. And dont even think about dangling your toes into billabongs and waterways. There are crocs in many of the waterways around Kakadu- but they are of no risk to you if you are sensible. Some people are incredibly dumb and swim where they should not and then the obvious happens.

Book your all of your accommodation BEFORE you arrive. It is peak time and if you are unlucky to secure accom when you arrive your trip will be spoiled. Also the earlier you book the better rate you will possibly get.

Noone can tell you if the trip is too long! There is much to do if you like walking, rock art etc. You could take a tour when you get there as well. Its all up to you!

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
11 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Booking tours to Kakadu and Litchfield

My itinerary is as follows. Please advise.

10 aug arrive Darwin. Stay at Leprechuan Resort

Self drive or public transport in city? Is it neccessary to

drive in city?

12 aug drive to Kakadu.

Stay in Kakadu Lodge in Jabiru or Aurora Kakadu? Which

is more convenient?

Self drive to attractions in Kakadu

14 aug drive to Katherine.

Stay in Best Western Pine Tree Motel or Katherine Motel?

Wanna do canoeing. Is it ok for beginners? Is Katherine

Market worth-going?

16 aug drive to Litchfield.

Visit Litchfield National Park. Do fishing. Stay in Batchelor

Resort

17 aug drive to Darwin.

18 aug arrive airport at 4.30a.m

Return car at airport so early or better do it on 17 Aug

and take a shuttle to airport?

Is the car rental distance limit for 100km per day enough for the above itinerary. If not, does it exceed much?

Many thanks

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Booking tours to Kakadu and Litchfield

Iris. Firstly I would suggest you get a map with distances and add up how much driving you would like to do each day. I suggest it will be well over 100km. FYI, its 255kms to Jabiru coming direct from Darwin.

either accom in Kakadu is ok - but convenient? Well everything you will be seeing will be at least a 30 min drive . Prebook your Yellow water cruise if you are doing that.

Did you know it will take about 3 hours to drive straight to Katherine , so plan for that and dont drive after sunset. There is alot of heavy vehicles on the Stuart highway.

Have you booked some sort of fishing tour in Litchfield? Do not fish off the banks - Something called a crocodile may catch you! It is simply not safe. If you love fishing, I would do a fishing tour and maybe drop katherine from your itinerary.

Katherine Market is very small.

Can you swim? Canoeing is not hard, but you do need a certain level of fitness to keep paddling. I have paddled with my children -double canoes. You need to book these.

Re the town of Darwin- it is small. You can get the hop on hop off bus which will take you to all the sights around Darwin. If you try and do by public transport- only a BUS, then you it will take extra time and you will still need to do considerable walking to get to the bus stops. Make a list of what you want to see in Darwin.

get a taxi to the airport if a few of you.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
11 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Booking tours to Kakadu and Litchfield

Thanks a lot

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Booking tours to Kakadu and Litchfield

Are you maybe thinking the Daly river for fishing? Its not actually in the National park itself where you will be visiting the other sights. Its accessed from further down the Stuart highway.

Once again- if this interests you , get a tour as it is very unsafe to do from the banks.