We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental cars - mileage limits?

Canberra, AU
Level Contributor
438 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Rental cars - mileage limits?

We are planning a family trip to Kakadu in late May 2012. Plan is to spend a few days in Darwin, then drive Jabiru initially then a few other stops before heading back to Darwin to fly home. 5 days, 8 people.

I am planning to rent two cars. As mentioned in earlier posts, the rental car agencies seem to have mileage limits ranging from 300km to 500km, after which it costs about 30c per kilometre. Does anyone know whether all the major car rental firms apply the mileage limit? Are there other operators who do not? Does it make any difference if you are a member of their loyalty program?

Broadford, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental cars - mileage limits?

When we went to Darwin in August 2011 all the "first tier" companies had limited km. Loyalty points didn't seem to make any difference for the two we have membership with. Our limit was 100km a day, IIRC.

We found that while in Darwin we didn't use many km, walking about the CBD which enabled us to make a couple of longer day trips which averaged it out, but we were there for 15 days.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin, Kakadu National Park
Level Contributor
2,804 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental cars - mileage limits?

Well just to and from Jabiru is 300 kms each way though travelling around Kakadu you are not liable to run up to many kilometres and around Darwin the mileage would not be too high so if you work out what you want to see and add it up and spread it over the number of days, the 300 kms daily limit might be enough.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,128 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental cars - mileage limits?

Hi djk

We are looking at car hire for a similar family trip in July - 3 nights Jabiru, 3 nights Katherine, 4 Darwin, but probably wont hire for all our days in Darwin.

So far one of the cheapest rates I've found is via http://www.tripit.com/ which I've joined to put together our itinerary. One quote there has an 800km limit.

I looked at NRMA & with membership & Thrifty they had a 100km limit & the cars seemed to be mostly Hyundais.

Will keep looking :)

Mia

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,136 posts
1,403 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental cars - mileage limits?

We always use Thrifty when visiting Darwin or the outback as they have plenty of 4WD's & excellent offices. (workshops) etc.

Ax mentioned you don't need your car around Darwin just when you want to visit the National Parks etc.

For additional info on Darwin,

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i18612-Darwin_T…

Darwin
Level Contributor
2,096 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rental cars - mileage limits?

Does your work have a loyalty program? If I book through Hertz the loyalty program with my work gives unlimited km. Lou

Australia
Level Contributor
67 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rental cars - mileage limits?

Hertz has stopped accepting Qantas Frequent Flyer and only takes Velocity.

While you are in Jabiru or Yellow Waters I would use either as a HUB and take a boutique tour with one of the locals.The guides in each hub are very experienced and well trained.

The knowledge gained from a local will be worth parking the 4wd for a day or 2.

7. Re: Rental cars - mileage limits?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:35 am, May 12, 2012
8. Re: Rental cars - mileage limits?

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:35 am, May 12, 2012
Canberra, AU
Level Contributor
438 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rental cars - mileage limits?

A belated thanks to everyone who gave us advice on this post. Mia, thanks for the tip re TripIt. I ended up using them for the rental and we now use TripIt for all out trips. It's huge in the US but I'm not sure many Aussies have heard of it yet.

We are in Darwin now and about to start the Kakadu leg of the trip tomorrow!

10. Re: Rental cars - mileage limits?

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:23 am, May 28, 2013