We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scenic flights

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,244 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Scenic flights

From where can we take a scenic flight over Kakadu National Park that includes Jim Jim Falls? We will be travelling in the dry season in August, will they still include the falls in the trip at that time of year? Any idea how much this type of flight-seeing tour would cost?

Stourbridge, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
282 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scenic flights

When I enquired at Jabiru airport in October last year, I was told that they only included the falls in the wet season.

I supose you could charter a plane to see what you like but this would cost you!

Otherwise a half hour flight was about 200$ as I remember.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin, Kakadu National Park
Level Contributor
3,008 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scenic flights

The only place that Kakadu flights leave from is Jabiru. Your only other choice is to find some one at the aero club who needs to keep his licence hours up and he might do a flight for you. but be hard to find.

Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scenic flights

Hello Wolvesblue2,

The scenic flight companies based in Kakadu National Park will stop flying over the falls once the track into the area is opened to the public.

A "friendly neighbour agreement" is in place to keep noise pollution down once visitors have access to the Jim Jim/ Twin Falls precinct, usually from around June -- much appreciated by those walking in the area! =)

Kakadu National...
Level Contributor
2 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scenic flights

Unfortunately the Aeroclub closed down many years ago.

The Scenic Flight Company (08 8979 3432) offers scenic flights year round. They are located behind the Mobil service station in Jabiru, but do not have an office at the airport.

Their Dry Season flight doesn't take in the falls because of National Park restrictions and the fly neighbourly agreement, but they can customise a flight for you for around $400 an hour for 2 people (the same as scenic flight prices). They are locally owned and operated and are really good at what they do.

There is so much more to see of the Park than the falls, give them a call and see what they can offer.

5. Re: Scenic flights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:29 am, October 16, 2009
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travelers can help.
Ask a question