We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riu Guanacaste

Guelph, Canada
Level Contributor
22 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Riu Guanacaste

Looking at visiting here with my mother but she is a smoker - is this going to be a problem?

Huntsville, Canada
Level Contributor
368 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Riu Guanacaste

Was in CR last week of Feb 2013

Chicago
Level Contributor
67 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Riu Guanacaste

I was there the last week of May. Smokers actually did a little bonding throughout the hotel since it seems you are sequestered a little bit by the law. Again, it's more strict during the day and especially around the pool. At night, I think there was less security guards on duty to chase us around.

Florida
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Riu Guanacaste

So happy to hear about no smoking. I was just in Puerto Plata and could barely breath fresh air from all the smokers. YAY that may sway me to go here next vacation:)

14. Re: Riu Guanacaste

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 2:05 pm, December 14, 2013
15. Re: Riu Guanacaste

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 2:05 pm, December 14, 2013
philadelphia, pa...
Level Contributor
195 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Riu Guanacaste

Actually the smoking laws in CR are more restrictive than the US - if it is against the law to smoke at an outdoor bus stop in CR - I take public transportation every day where I live in the US and if the bus stop is outside on a public sidewalk you can smoke. The policy in most of the US is no smoking inside. I smoke outside of US airports all the time - SJO was the 1st time I was told you could not stand outside the airport and smoke. I do not mind moving to a designated area like across the street but a sign would have been nice. Also I guess it is OK for folks to breathe in all the choking car, bus and truck fumes but heaven forbid someone smokes - I stand at the bus stop and suck in all the auto, bus and truck fumes everyday and if someone next to me is smoking I don't even smell the smoke over all the other pollution. Smokers are just an easy target. Who will be next - heavy drinkers (they can kill you too when they drive drunk). Just remember that tobacco is a legal product and when governments start putting restrictions on legal things (I have no problem with age restrictions on alcohol and tobacco & I think that no smoking inside is great) you never know what will be restricted next.

17. Re: Riu Guanacaste

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, June 21, 2015