We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying at RIU Guanacaste Excursions with children?

London, UK
Level Contributor
66 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Staying at RIU Guanacaste Excursions with children?

We have booked 2 weeks at RIU Guanacaste in August with Thomson for 4 of us including our kids aged 10 and 11.

Wondering what trips to do with that aged children?

Daughter is a bit afraid of heights but says she wants to do Tarzan swing in Monteverde! If you go on hanging bridges tour and she gets scared is there any option not to walk bridges. They love animals, volcanoes, white water rafting, zipping, horse riding etc. I did wonder with some activities like tubing do they allow kids to do this, some sites say 12 for different trips. Any help appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Riu Palace Costa Rica
Hotel Riu Palace Costa...
4,562 Reviews
Sardinal, Costa Rica
Monteverde
Monteverde
Province of Puntarenas, Costa Rica
14 replies to this topic
Costa Rica
Level Contributor
696 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying at RIU Guanacaste Excursions with children?

You could get a day pass at Hacienda Guachipelin and go horseback riding, zip lining, visit a waterfall, do hot springs and mud baths - https://www.guachipelin.com/en/tours.html

Or the Palo Verde River Tour, which I would rather hire a tour company to take me to instead of driving myself through all the dirt roads...I went with Avispas Adventures and it was fantastic. The lunch we had afterwards was the best Tico meal I've ever had in Costa Rica.

You have to do something on the water while you're here, whether it's sailing, snorkeling, kayaking, stand up paddle boarding. Many options.

If you won't have a rental car, send an email to Carlos of Blue Sky Private Tours Costa Rica and see what he suggests - http://blueskyprivatetourscr.com/

He has great prices and took very good care of some of our clients recently, he comes highly recommended.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Hacienda Guachipelin
Hotel Hacienda...
1,556 Reviews
Rincon de La Vieja, Costa Rica
Avispas Adventures
Avispas Adventures
298 Reviews
Playas del Coco, Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Blue Sky Private Tours
Blue Sky Private Tours
68 Reviews
Liberia, Costa Rica
manchester
Level Contributor
2,478 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying at RIU Guanacaste Excursions with children?

In terms of the hanging bridges, you have to go back the to way you came. Therefore if by bridge 3 she doesn't want to go on any more, you will be stuck.

You mentioned zipping. I'm assuming you mean zip lining. If this is the case then these are pretty high too. We did the zip lining at Borinquen and I would say some of those lines were higher than the hanging bridges at monteverde.

Do be aware that there's lot of travel from the Riu's. 4 hours each way to arenal or monteverde, 1.5 hours each way to Rincon de la Vieja (with the last hour being the most awful dirt track).

I'm sure there will be restrictions at some places with regards to age. At Rincon de la Vieja there is Buena Vista, Borinquen and Hacienda Guachipelin. They all do zip lining, horse riding and hot springs. It might be worth checking out each of these with regards to age and go from there.

To the best of my knowledge, there's no age restrictions on the arenal and monteverde trips.

Hope this helps a bit.

Mentioned in this post
Rincon de La Vieja
Rincon de La Vieja
Province of Guanacaste, Costa Rica
Hotel Hacienda...
1,556 Reviews
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
202 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying at RIU Guanacaste Excursions with children?

You could look on Trip Advisor Reviews and pictures of the Diamante Park next door to the Riu Guanacaste.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Riu Palace Costa Rica
Hotel Riu Palace Costa...
4,562 Reviews
Sardinal, Costa Rica
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
8,815 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying at RIU Guanacaste Excursions with children?

I have seen age limit for ziplining to be 8 and 6, but your children are older, so they might be OK (?). If some are unsure of heights, I would not attempt to do it. We did ziplining in a few countries, incl. in CR, and I remember that at some point closer to the beginning, the guide said, This is it, the last platform where you can stop and return, afterwards you have to finish the entire way. A few ppl, incl. adults, said, We want off, and they helped them down.

Remember to check your travel emergency medical insurance terms and conditions. High risk activities, which include ziplining, are usually excluded.

London, UK
Level Contributor
66 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying at RIU Guanacaste Excursions with children?

Thanks very much that's really helpful. I did mean ziplining rather than zipping, I've got auto correct on!

I think they are fine age wise for ziplining, its good you get the option to turn back though to a certain point. She has done a zipline here at a place similar to Go Ape but some online look seriously high! I think we would all like to try but we might get scared. Sounds like the hanging bridges could be an issue but that's exactly what I wanted to know as there's lots of excellent trips but as they are expensive we've got to pick and choose.

We were just going to go on organised trips but husband often changes his mind and goes for car hire as well so useful to have both. Thanks again.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
8,815 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying at RIU Guanacaste Excursions with children?

All ziplines are different though. I am not saying that in any of them you will be given a chance to turn back...

manchester
Level Contributor
2,478 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying at RIU Guanacaste Excursions with children?

I have seen a couple of the go ape's in the UK and I can stress the difference in height compared to the zip lines I saw in Costa Rica. It's literally like go ape is a child's zip line and Costa Rica is an extreme one. The height at go ape must be 20-30 metres at the most. I reckon the heightest it was at Borenquin (and it's an estimate because you way above the tree canopy) must have been a couple of hundred metres. There was a huge waterfall that we zipped over and it looked tiny from how high we were!

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
London, UK
Level Contributor
66 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying at RIU Guanacaste Excursions with children?

Thanks very much. That is quite a height difference, yes the one she went on was about 20 metres from the ground and I've never been. Both my kids are desperate to do ziplines but I do need to be careful that you can opt out / turn back if needed, I will check on a case by case basis. The one at Hacienda Guachipelin it appears you can opt out / turn back from ziplining and there's lots of other activities so that could work. Don't know with the Buena Vista one, the extreme one says height is 120 metres so obviously will be giving that a miss but not sure height of standard ones and whether you can opt out, think we'll ask Thomson when we are there pre booking.

Monteverde looks like wouldn't work. Daughter appears more bothered by bridges than ziplines as you are strapped in at ziplines and she says as long as they are safe she'll be OK. Have my doubts but think we'll try one you can turn back on first. I'm not sure about me either, I'm not afraid of heights normally and am hoping all the places Thomson go to are safe, not bothered about the odd cut, more about the line/platform breaking etc. I'm aware of the travelling times, the kids are quite used to travelling and my son loves bumpy rodes so he could be in luck. Husband is from France so we drive to there. Also we will only be doing a trip every few days so splits them up. Thanks for the help.

Diamante Park looks really good too and that's right next to the hotel, thanks for that. I was wondering were we could find sloths and its just next door. Great.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Hacienda...
1,556 Reviews
Monteverde
Monteverde
9. Re: Staying at RIU Guanacaste Excursions with children?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:45 am, August 11, 2018

London, UK
Level Contributor
66 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Staying at RIU Guanacaste Excursions with children?

We are here now, arrived on 15/8. Have booked Buena Vista for tomorrow, similar to HG trip and Thomson are only offering this one now.

Have done kayaking via hotel yesterday in the ocean for free and it was great.

We have booked Blue River tour via Nexus for Monday which includes rainforest, water slide, active volcano, largest in CR and botanical gardens etc.

We have booked Arenal for a day trip on Friday via Thomson, trip has been changed and eco park has been changed to a riverboat ride which is a shame. There's the hot springs and lunch as before. The 2 day Forest Explorer trip includes the eco park still but at night, wasn't sure about going at night.

We have also booked trip to Monteverde for Wednesday though am not sure about this one but think you can cancel with 24 hours notice. I don't mind the long drive to Arenal but to this as well maybe a bit much. Daughter says its fine now, she's a bit older.

I'm sure we will visit Diamante as well.

Hotel is nice but there are a few people getting sillily drunk here and being sick and entertainment is seriously loud but really beautiful. Loving the beach and AI.

Mentioned in this post
Monteverde
Monteverde
Arenal Lodge
Arenal Lodge
925 Reviews
La Fortuna de San Carlos, Costa Rica
Reply to: Staying at RIU Guanacaste Excursions with children?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted