We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two days break-away while staying in Nelson?

Huddersfield...
2 posts
Save Topic
Two days break-away while staying in Nelson?

I'm staying with family in Nelson in February, visiting from the UK, and to give them a break I'd like to take a couple of days/nights away. I'm in my mid-fifties. Any suggestions please? Thanks.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
35,274 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two days break-away while staying in Nelson?

What are your interests & budget?

Hiking in Abel Tasman NP? (water taxi in, tramp out)

Kayaking in ATNP?

Relaxing at Awaroa Lodge in ATNP?

Wine tour in Blenheim?

Picton/Queen Charlotte?

Edited: 12:44 pm, November 21, 2011
Huddersfield...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Two days break-away while staying in Nelson?

Maybe I should have given more detail! I'm not looking for anything too energetic and my budget is somewhere in the region of upto £200.00 (is that about $400?) for the whole two days away . Anything to do with wine appeals; gentle walking; flora and fauna in the outdoors. Trips off the coast-lakeside appeal too. Thanks

3. Re: Two days break-away while staying in Nelson?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:27 am, December 29, 2011
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
8,117 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Two days break-away while staying in Nelson?

You could hire a car and head down to Punakiki. It would complement the Nelson scenery nicely.

sydney australia
Level Contributor
3,665 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Two days break-away while staying in Nelson?

Or a little trip across the Hill to Takaka - a beautiful valley with lots of really nice places to stay and eat

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Two days break-away while staying in Nelson?

I was brought up in Nelson, now living in Australia but we still visit regularly. There's just been flooding around Nelson, and parts of Golden Bay were badly affected (the holiday house we were planning on staying in at Pohara is now a mudflat, so we've had to find alternative accommodation for our holiday in January). The city itself is still up and running (nothing like the damage from earthquakes in Christchurch, for example).

If you want to get out of people's hair for a couple of nights I'd suggest heading towards the Moutere Valley and Motueka. Moutere is home to many of Nelson's wineries (my picks would be Neudorf, and Glovers). Most of the wineries are close and easy to travel to (30-50km from Nelson). We usually do it as a day trip from Nelson, heading up there inland and coming back along the coast. There are a number of places to stay there relatively cheaply. Our favourite is the Old Schoolhouse near Kina beach. It's in a vineyard and the couple that run it are lovely. It's also close enough to Mapua that you could head there for a lovely dinner at Flax or the Mapua Smokehouse (both big on seafood).

A bit further down that same road is Kaiteriteri beach and Marahau. They're the setting off points to the Abel Tasman Park, and it's walks. There are water taxis that will take you a bit up the track and you can have day walks there. The first part of the track from Marahau isn't the best part - I'd suggest getting a water taxi a few bays up and walking from there.

Depending on whether you're mobile or not, and how much wine you buy - that should be on budget for you. If you're not mobile there are wine tour buses that would get you up there (you could 'jump ship' and stay there), or you could get a water taxi across from Nelson to Abel Tasman and do it the other way around.

Hope that helps.

Have a great stay - sorry I can't tell you where the best coffee is in Nelson anymore. It's been a few months since I visited and things change quickly in terms of best coffee. Best casual restaurant in Nelson is Hopgoods, best fine dining restaurant in the region is Bouterey's in Richmond (10-15k down the road).

7. Re: Two days break-away while staying in Nelson?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, December 30, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Nelson