We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Some itinerary assistance please

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Some itinerary assistance please

Hello good people!

I have booked flights to New Zealand this morning and now need to plan out our time. We are travelling from Cairns (AUS) arriving December 3rd and leaving on the 18th (in and out of Christchurch).

Our flight gets in late (such is the game you play when hunting cheap flights) so we will stay in Christchurch that night before heading up to the Marlborough region and staying in either Renwick or Blenheim.

We have a week to play with in this Northern area - I was thinking of two 2-nights and one 3-night but don't really know how to split it.

After we will head to Franz Josef (2 nights maybe?) and then to the Queenstown, Wanaka, Arrowtown part. For this is it best to have a base and drive around or split nights between them. At present I was thinking of basing in either Arrowtown (which I fell in love with when I was 16 on a school trip) or Queenstow for 4 nights. Then we drive back to Christchurch, spend the night and fly out.

I think we have a reasonable balance and I understand driving times are longer then they are Down Under. Does this seem like a reasonable plan? We are really after a balance - food, wine, and yummy goodies, beach, and scenery - as my husband puts it "flop and drop but still do stuff" - sounds oxymoronical I know :). We look to stay in mid pice accommodation in the main but would like to splash out somewhere also. Where is best to do this? Many thanks in advance :)

Sarah

Mentioned in this post
New Zealand
New Zealand
South Pacific
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
37,680 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Some itinerary assistance please

Welcome to the NZ forum; Sounds like a lovely plan.

Nelson would be worth 2-3 days & maybe Picton also while you are in the Marlborough region.

This however, leaves you with only 7 days for the south. You'd need a 1 night stop between Nelson & the Glaciers - usually this would be Punakaiki (11th); Franz Josef (12th); Wanaka (13th) & Queenstown (14th & 15th). Queenstown to Chch is a very long day (around 7 hours) so I'd recommend a night at or near Mt Cook on the 16th & return to Chch on the 17th.

If you don't want to go to Mt Cook another option would be to extend the drive on the 13th to FJG-QTN and go to Wanaka on the 16th so the drive back to Chch is shortened by an hour.

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Some itinerary assistance please

Should I drop a day up they top then?

3. Re: Some itinerary assistance please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:22 am, October 28, 2012