We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

T.R- four days in Nelson

Which Nelson hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
auckland
Level Contributor
417 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
T.R- four days in Nelson

Just a quick report- hope this is the right format!D.H and I flew to Nelson to watch our daughter play in a netball tournament, but here's only so much netball you can watch!Hope the details of our visit might help someone .

1.Flew Air New Zealand- enjoy the gorgeous flight in over Tasman Bay- so picturesque!Nelson Airport small but perfectly formed, very attractive.

2 We picked up a rental car from http://www.nzrentacar.co.nz/

4 days for $116- good price, we thought,Friendly service, car a little in need of a clean, but it was o.k

3. We stayed at Boutique Motel- I've posted a review- it was great.

4.Things we did- drove out to Grape Escape(just out of Richmond in a beautifful area of orchards and wineries)This is a cafe set in an old villa, with a giftshop next door.I imagine that in the summer

the gardens would be lovely to sit in . As it was we sat in a warm enclosed verandah, and I had absolutely yummy pea and ham soup , with D.H eating a substantial ploughman's lunch , and of course a couple of local brews.

Edited: 2:13 am, July 21, 2011
auckland
Level Contributor
417 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: T.R- four days in Nelson

Continued.. more food and drink!

5. We discovered Mc Cashin's Brewery just down the road from where we were staying, and very handy for a wee post- loss drink when the netball didn't go so well!This , I gather from "he-who-likes-a-beer" is a revived brewery, one of the originals whose previous business was bought out by the"big boys". but now they're back!That may just be a figment of his beery brain!Anyways, it really is worth a visit.It's a quirky little cafe, old couches and seating set out around coffee tables, Again- very very friendly service- seems to be throughout Nelson.On the Sunday aftrenoon, there was a couple playing live music, and you could order Thai takeaways outside and bring them in to eat in the bar.Lots of families .The bar had every which way beer is available, as well as great wines and local ciders.We called in twice , it was so much fun.

Edited: 2:20 am, July 21, 2011
auckland
Level Contributor
417 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: T.R- four days in Nelson

6. MORE EATING!

I've posted a separate review of the Boatshed cafe- so good!

We also ate at the Vic Brewbar( www.macs.co.nz/brewbars/brewbar/the_vic/)

great chowder, and at Stefano's Pizza Restaurant-(http://www.pizzeria.co.nz/ ).This latter was for a meal with the netball team.Their pizzas were HUGE and perfect for sporty starving teenagers.Reasonable price- good spot for families.

What else?

Well, we picked up a Nelson pottery trail map and did a bit of a Tiki-tour around several- a great way to spend a morning.We especially liked the work of Stephen Robertson- currently a little out of town near Mapua, but soon to move into Central Nelson. Consequently, Bruce had a large box to carry with care on and off the flight home!

auckland
Level Contributor
417 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: T.R- four days in Nelson

Mapua itself is great place to visit , close to town, lovely little art-gallery, gardenish centre and cafe- good spot for a drive.recommend it.So beautiful and peaceful.

We also drove through to Havelock, enjoyed looking at all the boats- wow, there's some money down there, and had a nice little scone and fresh pie in a cafe/ bakery on main street- no name, sorry.

Oh and forgot to mention I went into a fibre co-op on Trafalgar St,

http://www.fibrespectrum.co.nz/

Beautiful crafts, lovely little lady served us, we had a great chat about housebuses- a character!I bought a beautiful deep pink silk scarf, so I went home happy!

All in all, we loved Nelson,We had stopped over for a night several times, but spending more time gave us a good feeling for this pretty, well- cared -for, friendly city- Mountains and sea- could it be better?

auckland
Level Contributor
417 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: T.R- four days in Nelson

And apologies for all those typos..time for new specs!

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,405 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: T.R- four days in Nelson

Oooo, Mapua...fond memories of the Naked Bun's fab chocolate croissants from our trip last month. I'm still trying to work off those calories!

6. Re: T.R- four days in Nelson

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 pm, October 09, 2012