We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 nights in Nelson/Abel Tasman area-where to spend them?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
902 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
6 nights in Nelson/Abel Tasman area-where to spend them?

We are arriving in Nelson on June 26. We have 6 nights before we have to be in Christchurch. I have spent so much time researching how to spend these 6 days and I am no closer to making a decision.

We want to hike and kayak and take in the beautiful views. Should we split 3/3 or spend the entire time in either Abel Tasman or Nelson. Not having to pack it up and move is appealing but we do not want to miss out just for the ease of staying in one place the entire time.

If we stay the entire time in Nelson, we would probably do two day trips to Abel Tasman. Any knowledgable opinions would be much appreciated.

Umbria, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast, Umbria
Level Contributor
4,550 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 nights in Nelson/Abel Tasman area-where to spend them?

it will be cold but the likelyhood of fine weather is more likely than any other NZ province......make hiking a bit of a wait and see proposition.

1.From nelson you could do daily forraging but do not miss the Collingwood/farewell Spit/Aorere Valley bits as this is rugged but beautiful.

2.The Nelson Lakes are second to the southern ones and a good day trip via Top House....down the Wairau Valley into marlborough and back to Nelson is a ripper.

3.If you do the NW end of Able Tasman you could over night in the area and see takaka /Totoranui/Pohara ....whilst doing 1.

have sent a connection to a trip report thaat may help

Mapua, Nelson
Level Contributor
1 post
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 nights in Nelson/Abel Tasman area-where to spend them?

You would do well to position yourselves in the Tasman region -mid way between Nelson and the Abel Tasman so that you can spend your time between Nelson, wineries, crafts etc and weather permitting, spending time in the Abel Tasman National Park. Also you arent as far away from Golden Bay, as if you stay in Nelson city. The weather in the park in mid June can be glorious and sunny but could also be cold and wet. However our wettest months tend to be July and August.

hope this helps!

Level Contributor
2 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 nights in Nelson/Abel Tasman area-where to spend them?

I would trip in to the Abel Tasman and also make a trip to the Marlborough Sounds. Nelson is the ideal central location. There are also many things to do in Nelson to fill up your time. Walk to the Centre of NZ, Japanese Gardens, Saturday market.

Level Contributor
2 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 6 nights in Nelson/Abel Tasman area-where to spend them?

I would trip in to the Abel Tasman and also make a trip to the Marlborough Sounds. Nelson is the ideal central location. There are also many things to do in Nelson to fill up your time. Walk to the Centre of NZ, Japanese Gardens, Saturday market.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
902 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 6 nights in Nelson/Abel Tasman area-where to spend them?

Can we do a day trip to Marlborough from Nelson or is it too far?

We made plans for a day trip to Abel Tasman. What would be some other day trips? The Nelson Lakes?

Level Contributor
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: 6 nights in Nelson/Abel Tasman area-where to spend them?

Hi Lynn,

Definitely spent at least 3 of your days in beautiful Golden Bay, just two hours from Nelson, and with easy access to the best, most scenic, and quietest area of Abel Tasman. Golden Bay is full of beautiful walks, eclectic artists, and beautiful beaches.

Feel free to contact me for more information.

Many thanks,

Steve

Nelson
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 6 nights in Nelson/Abel Tasman area-where to spend them?

3 days in the Abel Tasman will give you a fantastic overview and let you see and experience a little bit of everything. You can kayak, walk and cruise with that time, stay in a hut or camp site. Even come out the park every night and stay in Marahau or Kaiteriteri if you like,

That gives you 3 days for the rest of the region. You can enjoy some of the local wine and take a tour, visit the brewerys, enjoy the arts and crafts the region has to offer, theres plenty to keep you entertained.

You might like to go horse riding, quad bike riding or get up in the air on one of the fantastic skydiving, hangliding, paragliding, microlight, scenic flight/heli flight options.

Enjoy some of the local seafood down on the waterfront or catch your own Salmon at Anatoki and have it smoked and ready to eat straight away.

I think you should just take me with you and I will show you :-)

Umbria, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast, Umbria
Level Contributor
4,550 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 6 nights in Nelson/Abel Tasman area-where to spend them?

Yes you dcould day trip to Marlborough and go via the Havelock to Picton route then on return go up the Wairau Valley via the Nelson Lakes.....all up that is about 5hrs 30 mins in the car so its a big day.

You are not missing anything by not going to Marlborough as Nelson Province has it but in a prettier way....vineyards etc.

But do go to the Collingwood ...Farewell Spit area

9. Re: 6 nights in Nelson/Abel Tasman area-where to spend them?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 pm, October 11, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Nelson