We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nelson as a base for Abel Tasman?

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Nelson as a base for Abel Tasman?

Is Nelson a reasonable home base for exploring Abel Tasman for a couple days? Rather than pack up to move to another location, I'd like to stay put in Nelson.

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,871 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nelson as a base for Abel Tasman?

Ihave just got back from three days in nelson. it is a small city and may well serve your needs well f you wish to do day trips to abel taman.

check out the 'world of wearable arts' museum and car museum. This was the first time i have ever seen it and was extremly impressed.

We stayed in the 'Kingsgate motel' in trafelgar st. i have staye in many motels in my years of traveling, andthis would be the very best motel ever. spabath in every room, DVD player, sky and freeview, cooking facilities and awesome leather couches. the owner takes great pride in their motels

There is no reason why you will need to pack up and move to another location. check out their I site and DOc office for information on day trips to the park.

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
119 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nelson as a base for Abel Tasman?

You are looking at driving about 60km /an hour and 15 min to an hour and a half each way back and forth for two days. You could see a lot more of the park with the time.

Yokohama
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Nelson as a base for Abel Tasman?

In March right? No problem... if this was the peak of the silly season (Dec-Feb) I would add 30+min to the drive which might sway some to stay in Kaiteriteri... near the Southern end of the Abel Tasman... Which I would actually still encourage as its just such a nice place.

Keep in mind too that the Abel Tasman can be approached from 2 sides (ends). If you did approach from the North (enter from Wainui or Totaranui) you could spend a bit of time in Takaka or Pohara... see Pupu Springs, Farewell Spit and visit the Mussel Inn...

It probably sounds as though I am tyring to steer you that way... I'm not. Nelson is great and you will have plenty to do to and see to right there... and yes staying put would do away with the stress of yet another move to another location.

Either way - Enjoy!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
516 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nelson as a base for Abel Tasman?

We stayed for 3 nights in Kaiteriteri followed by 2 nights in Nelson. I'm not sure I would have liked to face the journey to and from Nelson every day.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,769 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nelson as a base for Abel Tasman?

I would "flip a coin". Either choice will be excellent. It's quite a nice drive to Kaiterteri, but a bit of a grind over the hill to Takaka. It's not that bad, just a few twists and turns. There will be more to do in Nelson in the evening, but it's 45 minutes each way. I've done both. Loved both. Sitting in the cafe in Kaiterteri watching the night roll in was a bit of a zen experience!

Nice, France
Level Contributor
7 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nelson as a base for Abel Tasman?

I caught the 7a,m bus from Nelson into the Abel Tasman one day.. managed to walk half the track..I then stayed at the Arawoa Lodge in the middle of the park (only place you can stay in a hotel like base) for 1 night so I could get up early the next day, to catch a boat to far end of Park and do the other half of the trail, although I walked the inland route for much of this. I then got picked up by a boat and taken back in time to catch a bus back to Nelson.. it is much easier to do this i'd say than the drive each day, especially if you want to see the farthest part of the park.. on another trip I went to drive over that hill (Takaka) and thought it was so boring and long I turned round! I'm not a Kiwi and didn't have much time.. either way I wouldn't recommend it unless you like driving.. As a family I just did another 1 day trip to the park in July 09 but we stayed at Kimiora Lodge overnight to get an early boat halfway into the Park.. don't stay there in winter is my advice.. freezing rooms, pool not lit up at night and complete waste of money except for the view in the morning. The Park is stunning though and one of my favourite places in NZ.

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nelson as a base for Abel Tasman?

Thanks everyone for your advice. We've decided to stay one night in Nelson and two nights in Marahau, to cut back on driving time. Can't wait!

8. Re: Nelson as a base for Abel Tasman?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, June 25, 2010