We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which is your favourite section of Abel Tasman Track?

BARCELONA.SPAIN
Level Contributor
1,722 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Which is your favourite section of Abel Tasman Track?

I am going to spend three nights in Nelson next March.

planning to do a one-day walki in the Track, I am undecided betwen Anchorage to Marahau, Medlands Beach to Anchorage or Tonga quarry beach fo Medlands Beach.

Which one is your "scenic" favourite part of the Track.

Thank you

Jose

Mentioned in this post
Nelson
Nelson
Nelson-Tasman Region, New Zealand
Park City, Utah
Level Contributor
325 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which is your favourite section of Abel Tasman Track?

Hi Jose,

All of this track is beautiful but IMO the best parts are the little bays from Anchorage on so I wouldn't recommend the first part from Marahau as much for a day trip. When we did a day trip we got the boat to Torrent Bay which is just past Anchorage and walked to Onetahuti Beach (which I think is also known as Tonga Quarry) and caught the boat back from there. I'm not sure how far you want to walk but this wasn't a difficult day walk - I think it was about 10 or so kms and we had our two children with us.

The last part of the track past Totaranui is the least crowded if you really want to get away from others but isn't as easy to do as a day walk. March will be a great time to walk this track. Although it will still be summer and prime walking season you will be out of the busiest period which is in the school holidays.

BARCELONA.SPAIN
Level Contributor
1,722 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which is your favourite section of Abel Tasman Track?

Thank you Skiwiflower for your good advice. I will problably do the section from Anchorage to the north.

Jose

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
69 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which is your favourite section of Abel Tasman Track?

I just returned from New Zealand and our visit to Abel Tasman was a highlight of the trip. The section from Anchorage Beach/Torrent Bay to Onetahuti Beach/Tonga is spectacular and easily done in one day. Just be mindful of the tides at Torrent Bay and go close to low tide. If you go at high tide, it will add over an hour to your walk.

Mentioned in this post
New Zealand
New Zealand
South Pacific
4. Re: Which is your favourite section of Abel Tasman Track?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, May 09, 2010