We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Abel Tasman - Hiking & Kayaking

Which Nelson hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
182 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Abel Tasman - Hiking & Kayaking

Anyone have any suggestions for an un-guided ~4 hour, hiking/kayaking/taxi trip in Abel Tasman? (We are staying in Moteuka 9-11 March.)

We thought it would be nice to kayak up the coast (explore coves and islands), ditch the kayaks, do some hiking & hang out at the beach (a couple of hours), then return via water taxi.

Specific recommendations would be appreciated (tour company, times of day, kayak launch location, hiking locations, etc).

We are both athletic with some kayaking experience, and in average/good shape, but we don't want to have to paddle too long against the current. We are avid hikers.

Auckland
Level Contributor
60 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Abel Tasman - Hiking & Kayaking

Sorry I can't give any recommendations, apart from DO IT! The Abel Tasman is a truly magical spot, and you will adore it. If you are lucky, you may get adopted by dolphins on the kayak legs, and the trek is well formed, not terribly hard, and has good huts enroute. I did the trek portion many xmases ago, unplanned, and loved it. It took me 4 days. I would recommend you book through your accomodation provider, they will know the best operators, and the best short trips. Have a great time.

2. Re: Abel Tasman - Hiking & Kayaking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:18 am, September 19, 2009