We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blue Penguins

Which Oamaru hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toowoomba
Level Contributor
55 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Blue Penguins

We are hiring a campervan and driving from Christchurch to Dunedin. We will be looking at a stop along the way and thought Oamaru and the Blue Penguins might be as good as any. Are they worth it or are there any other suggestions.

Thanks

Australia
Level Contributor
87 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Blue Penguins

My wife and I are early 30s and stopped for a night in Oamaru to see the penguins and the town and we really enjoyed it. I guess it depends on how interested in penguins you are, but if you get there early and get a decent seat you'll be able to get very close to them and watch them come ashore and up into their nests. It's one of those things that's great to do and there aren't many places to do it.

The township of Oamaru is really lovely - a great old quarter with historic buildings and a fantastic pizza place on the main street where you can write on the walls.

The Moeraki Boulders a bit south of Oamaru are a worthwhile stop for lunch or a break - it's a short walk down to the beach to see them and they are unusual and make for some good photos.

UK
Level Contributor
422 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Blue Penguins

We went to see the blue penguins coming ashore in Oamaru and loved it, it's great to be able to watch them in their natural environment. They are very small and therefore rather sweet, and it's wonderful how they come ashore at the same point every night after swimming for miles each day. I'd certainly recommend it, we actually found it to be a better penguin experience than the yellow-eyed ones in Dunedin, simply because it felt more natural.

Toowoomba
Level Contributor
55 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Blue Penguins

Thanks for that. There are so many animal viewing opportunities in NZ wanted to check to see if this one was worth the stop. Sounds like it is.

4. Re: Blue Penguins

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:56 am, February 15, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Oamaru