We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oamaru to Queenstown

Which Oamaru hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sheffield
Level Contributor
26 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Oamaru to Queenstown

We are travelling from Oamaru to Queenstown and want advice on which road to take. We quite fancied seeing the Moreki Boulders and then taking the SH85 to Queenstown but are not sure if the SH82 and SH8 would be a better drive.

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
19 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oamaru to Queenstown

Both should provide beautiful views. Highway 8 is incredible through Lindis Pass, but you will miss Lake Pukaki and Lake Tekapo by joining up in Omarama.

Here is an idea of what you might see

virtualoceania.net/newzealand/…

Highway 85 offers much of the same: tufted grass that in the afternoon sun looks like velvet on the hills. I found the drive from Moeraki to Queenstown to feel rather long, but I have never driven highway 82. However I think the Pass offers more drama, so i would pick Highway 8, especially if you will be driving through in the late afternoon. And the drive along lake Dunstan just before coming into Cromwell is quite pretty too.

Sheffield
Level Contributor
26 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oamaru to Queenstown

Thanks for that. Will follow your advice.

3. Re: Oamaru to Queenstown

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:18 am, September 04, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Oamaru