We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hervey Bay whale watching in high season - which tour?

Which Hervey Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ljubljana, Slovenia
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Hervey Bay whale watching in high season - which tour?

Hello!

I saw that there were a few discussions on this topic but nothing close to comprehensive. I was hoping to get a better overview of the operators offering tours. With my husband we'll be in Hervey Bay to go on a tour on 18 August (half day, and yes, four! Days) and we're finding it difficult to choose a tour.

I came across Blue dolphin, Whale song, Tasman Venture, Quick Cat II, That's awesome... The price is either 115 or 120 aud per pax. Is it just me or is there not a big difference between them? Does any of them stand out?

Also, at this time in high season would we need to book in advance?

I appreciate any advice, suggestion, sharing of experience with the various operators etc. Thanks!

Kind regards,

Nina

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
461 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hervey Bay whale watching in high season - which tour?

Hi Nina,

You are in for a treat, as there are more whales than ever before, and the action has been amazing this year! It certainly reflects the reason Hervey Bay is considered the best place in the world to see humpback whales.

Whilst the prices are roughly the same for all trips there are subtle differences depending on your preferences. Whilst you will have an awesome day on the water with any of these operators, I will just point out the minor differences.

The biggest decision is how long you want to go - half, 3/4 or full day.

Small children / infants - if you have very small children then Blue Dolphin may not be the best, and Spirit of Hervey Bay (the biggest boat with 5 viewing levels and underwater windows) is probably the best option.

Tasman, Quick Cat, WhaleSong, & Spirit are all half day trips, with a morning or afternoon option. WhaleSong is the only half day trip that includes a meal (breakfast or lunch) in the ticket price - the others include morning or afternoon tea. WhaleSong has the smallest groups and Spirit is the biggest boat.

If you prefer a sleep in, then a 3/4 day trip is available for roughly the same price, with 6 hours (9:30 - 3:30) on the water and morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea provided. Freedom 3 and Mikat run 3/4 day trips.

For a full day you don't get closer to whales than on Blue Dolphin with onl;y 24 passengers on board. You get well fed all day on this trip.

If you are looking for a smaller group trip, or are travelling during September then I would definitely book in advance to avoid disappointment.

There are reviews of most of these operators on TripAdvisor to further assist.

Hope this helps :-)

Rob

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hervey Bay whale watching in high season - which tour?

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your insight here too. :-)

I had a look, have a few favourites but we'll decide on a tour once we get there tomorrow. I was just told that it's still not that busy up there - with people. Glad to hear the whales are there though!

Looking forward to seeing them in action!

Kind regards,

Nina

3. Re: Hervey Bay whale watching in high season - which tour?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:15 pm, August 20, 2013