We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fraser Island Day tour

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
5 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Fraser Island Day tour

Hi there,

I have a quick question about the day trips to Fraser Island. We are looking at doing a couple of different tours, but there are some which don't offer the Maheno wreck as one of their attractions.

Is the Maheno wreck a "must see" on a day tour?

cheers.

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
539 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Fraser Island Day tour

Hi Nath,

I would definately include the Maheno in a trip.. it is usually only the trips from Noosa or Brisbane that don't go there as they don't have time to get up that far...

From Hervey Bay look at either the Fraser Island Company 1 day safari or Exclusive tour, Fraser Experience Hummer Tour or Fraser Explorer Day Tour..

If your time budget allows, I would definately recommend a 2 day trip over the 1 day tours... maybe cool dingo (18-35s) or Frasr Island Company 2 day

Tasman Venture is offering a "Remote fraser Island Tour" starting this week.. travels up the west coast of fraser (by sea) visits the lighthouse, kayaking, snorkeling, swimming, guided walks etc... $190pp .. there is no website for this trip yet...

hope this helps

Rob

McLean, Virginia
Level Contributor
523 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fraser Island Day tour

I don't know about the new company. I think I went with the first of the two you mentioned. Those two companies do similar things. You will get an opportunity for an aerial view of Fraser. Small airplanes take off and land on the beach on Fraser. Yes, it's touristy, but it was one of the highlights of my 6 weeks in Australia in 2008. I think it is about $70 Australian.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fraser Island Day tour

"Is the Maheno wreck a "must see" on a day tour?"

it used to be but seems to be deteriotating quickly now.

on some of my visits it has been virtually buried.

and when u think about it is just a rusty wreck of a ship that was being towed back to a port for scrapping. nothing of real historical importance.

Birmingham
Level Contributor
36 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fraser Island Day tour

The maheno was probably the least interesting part of our trip -at the end of the day its just a very rusty wreck, the ship itself was used for bomb target practise in the war & really there is not that much of it left to see.

We would recommend 2 days on Fraser island if you can, we loved our 2 days.

Q'Land
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Fraser Island Day tour

I agree with the others - Go for 2 days if you have the time.

Try to also include Lake McKenzie, Indian Head and Champagne Pools if possible. Maheno is just OK.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fraser Island Day tour

We did the Fraser Island one day (long day...) Exclusive tour by Fraser Island Company www.fraserislandco.com.au and had a great day. It included the Maheno wreck. Not really a highlight though imo.

Tet

7. Re: Fraser Island Day tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, June 01, 2010