We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jetstar just dumped Fraser Coast

Lake Macquarie...
Level Contributor
3,825 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Jetstar just dumped Fraser Coast

The wife and two of her friends were booked to travel from Sydney to the Fraser Coast (Hervey Bay) in August for their annual rage at the Gympie Muster.

They just received an email from Jetstar to notify them that their booking has been changed to arrive at the Sunshine Coast instead. Apparently, Jetstar will be ceasing service to the Fraser Coast as from the end of July '09, as the area is no longer profitable. This leaves Virgin as the only economy carrier servicing the area.

The wife and her sister (who lives in Maryborough) are bermused at the decision, because every time they have used Jetstar to/from the Hervey Bay airport, the flights were all but full. I guess the fiscal belt-tightening measures are starting with the country areas.

Jetstar has offered a full refund, plus a $50 Jetstar credit voucher to be used on another flight, if passengers do not wish to transfer to the Sunshine Coast.

Mentioned in this post
Fraser Coast
Fraser Coast
Queensland, Australia
Sunshine Coast
Sunshine Coast
Queensland, Australia
Maryborough
Maryborough
Fraser Coast, Australia
1. Re: Jetstar just dumped Fraser Coast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 6:09 am, June 10, 2009
2. Re: Jetstar just dumped Fraser Coast

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10:54 pm, June 10, 2009
australia
Destination Expert
for New South Wales, Noosa
Level Contributor
3,281 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jetstar just dumped Fraser Coast

Flights maybe full but still not profitable - Hervey Bay flights seem to regularly on the 'discounted sale' offers.

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
600 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Jetstar just dumped Fraser Coast

Virgin announced yesterday that they will be fully supporting the Hervey Bay Route by taking up the extra capacity.

They will be running a special ad campaign focusing on the Whale Watch season and offering a special fare of $109 for the season.

Surfers Paradise...
Destination Expert
for Gold Coast, Surfers Paradise, Byron Bay
Level Contributor
6,154 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jetstar just dumped Fraser Coast

It's definately a sign of the times HN.

I would have thought that Maroochydore would have been slightly closer to Amamoor than Hervey Bay??

I will say that the Gympie Muster is unreal. I was there last year and enjoyed it massive!

Lake Macquarie...
Level Contributor
3,825 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jetstar just dumped Fraser Coast

True, but the wife's sister & family live ay Maryborough. This makes it a but fo a journey to pick them up an go to the Muster, then bach to Maryborough later, then back to the Sunshine Coast, etc.

This will be the 3rd Muster for the wife (she's a muso) and she loves it. I stay home, mind the black babies (2x staffies) & do the work bit which I don't mind. I prefer to ride the bike than paddle in mud, although the drinking bit would be a bonus...

Mentioned in this post
Maryborough
Maryborough
Fraser Coast, Australia
Sunshine Coast
Sunshine Coast
Queensland, Australia
Byron Bay, Australia
Level Contributor
679 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jetstar just dumped Fraser Coast

Wow,

I had always thought the route was always busy on Jetstar and am very bemused by them cutting the route.

I guess its a sign of the times, Huh.

BB1

8. Re: Jetstar just dumped Fraser Coast

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:31 am, December 18, 2009