We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North Island to Kaikoura

Which Kaikoura hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
324 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
North Island to Kaikoura

Hello fellow forum members !

I am planning a trip to NZ. I am only planning on going to Auckland in the north island.

From Auckland, is there a way to go straight to Kaikoura ?

My other destinations are Queenstown and Stewart Island.

I had planned on Auckland to Kaikoura to Queenstown to Stewart Island and then back home.

Edited: 8:34 pm, October 14, 2012
Wellington, NZ
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
2,328 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: North Island to Kaikoura

The airport at Kaikoura does not take commercial flights. The closest airport is Blenheim, but it would be probably easier to fly to Christchurch. It is about 30 minutes more in the car, but it is a direct flight from Auckland in a jet, there are frequent services and it would be cheaper.

Most flights from Auckland to Blenheim go via Wellington, although there are some direct flights, they are by propeller plane and not very frequent..

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,111 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: North Island to Kaikoura

I agree. Book your flights AKL to CHC (2-3 nights ) and CHC to ZQN (Queenstown). You can take a train or coach to Kaikoura (2-2:30hr) or drive. It can be done as a day trip but early morning whale watch trips are recommended so I'd recommend driving to Kaikoura one afternoon & returning the following afternoon.

For Stewart Island you'd need to get a coach to Invercargill Airport from Queenstown and a flight back from Invercargill to AKL.

3. Re: North Island to Kaikoura

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, October 17, 2013