We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which company for dolphin swimming?

london
Level Contributor
210 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
which company for dolphin swimming?

Any thoughts anyone? any bad experiences with either "Dolphin encounters" or "Dolphin watch"?

thank you in advance

Tin
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6,584 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: which company for dolphin swimming?

I joined Dolphin Encounter and had no bad experience. Saw hundreds of dolphins, some swam very near me. The only problem is that you have to book early.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
294 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: which company for dolphin swimming?

is there any dolphin swimming on October?

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,430 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: which company for dolphin swimming?

Yes all year round, we are hardy souls downunder!

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
294 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: which company for dolphin swimming?

But will it be too cold for swimming on Oct?

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,430 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: which company for dolphin swimming?

Yes it will be cold, but if you want to swim with the dolpins then needs must! Maybe the tour operators have wetsuits- check to see, this will be much more comfortable, although still a little chilly!

london
Level Contributor
210 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: which company for dolphin swimming?

hi Zapper - you sound like an expert - any views on which operator to chose please? I hope November 23 will be a bit warmer?

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,430 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: which company for dolphin swimming?

I wouldn't call myself an expert, we just have our own boat and regularly see dolphins and orcas while out boating. I have no experience of dolphin tours down south (I live in the Nth Island) but have done the whale watch out of Kaikoura on the big "cats", no swimming allowed but we saw lots of dolphins(pods of 200-300). An amazing sight. One of the smaller boats that were tagging along with us was from this company and they looked pretty OK- naturallykaikoura.co.nz/kaikoura/…

Any of you that aren't visiting the Sth Island and would still like to swim with the dolpins- visit Tauranga/Mt Maunganui (1 hour east of Rotorua)we have several dolphin encounter companies here.

london
Level Contributor
210 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: which company for dolphin swimming?

thanks - one more question if i may please, as you are a NI person...

Is 3 hrs enough to get a feel for Rotorua and see the best sights please? I am trying to do a lot in one day and dont know if i will manage-

The plan is to hire a car, leave Aukland at 0900 and drive to Waitamo caves, do the 45 min glow worm tour, then drive to Rotorua, see some of the highlights - drop off the car at about 15.45 (3.45pm) ready to check in for the last flight to Wellington...will i do it or shall i skip the glow worms and go Aukland - Rotorua?

or, last option, stay longer in Rotorua- overnight and take the first flight in the morning (although that squeezes the next day's activities)...any views/opinions please?

thank you!

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,430 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: which company for dolphin swimming?

Definately not! I would leave the glowworms, that will take you at least 6-7 hours including the driving. Even with the time you save you will not do Rotorua justice. There really is a lot to see and do in Rotorua (what are you thinking of doing?), staying the night and flying out in the morning would be a good idea. Where/what are you doing the next day?

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,430 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: which company for dolphin swimming?

Just a thought, but if you are staying the night there are glow worms at Okere Falls, 1/2 hour out of Rotorua. Not on the same scale as Waitomo but glow worms never the less!