We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seal Swimming

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Seal Swimming

Hello,

I am thinking to join the seal swimming tour in Kaikoura but am afraid of the low seawater temperature. Could anyone suggest what's the seawater temperature normally like in late December?

Thank you very much.

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
106 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seal Swimming

LittleFatDuck

I did the Seal Swim in Kaikoura earlier this month. Water was a bit nippy but they do provide you with a full wet suit and life jacket. I only really felt the cold once I got out of the water.

Nothing for you to worry about.

I will be writing a review of my holiday shortly. Only got back to the UK this morning! Kaikoura is a gorgeous place.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Seal Swimming

Hi Sllentdark1979,

Thanks a lot for your response. You must have a wonderful time over there. I’m looking forward to your holiday review :)

One more question, is it possible to bring the camera (inside the waterproof bag) with us during the tour?

Thanks

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
106 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seal Swimming

Cameras are welcome.

One thing I would say though is to keep the camera out in front of you at all times.

The day we went visibility was only about 2 metres and the amount of time a seal swam towards me was amazing - with the better weather coming your visibility should be a lot better.

Go do it -

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
120 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Seal Swimming

December - February will probably be the warmest water temperatures you will face while in NZ and as mentioned the wet suits do a good job of keeping you warm (and afloat).

They sell disposable underwater cameras there and if you have access to a waterproof camera or case I recommend taking that to capture the playful seals.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Seal Swimming

Hi Sllentdark1979 and ChristchurchAndCanty,

Thanks a lot for your valuable information.

Cheers

6. Re: Seal Swimming

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 am, October 16, 2009