We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jade- how late are the stores open and location in town?

Lakeville, Minnesota
Level Contributor
256 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Jade- how late are the stores open and location in town?

Hi,

I am interested in buying some carved jade (a necklace maybe) when we are in Hokitika in November and was wondering how late the stores stayed open. We will be arriving in Hokitika on a Monday afternoon.

I wouldn't mind buying something off the shelf but it might be a cool memory/activity to design and have it carved that day too but wasn't sure if that took too long to complete for just being in town for the one day. How long does it normally take for them to carve a pretty simple design (I wouldn't make it complicated)?

Also, it sounds like there are several different stores...any that you highly recommend for a great selection or for the personalized carving (or for great deals)? Are the stores all located next to each other or are there certain streets with more stores (and if so, the street names they are located on)?

We will be arriving in Hokitika Monday afternoon, stay overnight, and then leave early the next morning to go to Franz and Fox Glacier (heli-hike probably) so we won't be in town too long but the jade is something I'm really looking forward to buying to bring back with me.

Any recommendations would be wonderful. Thanks so much for all of your help with our planning so far too!

Katie

New Zealand
Level Contributor
81 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Jade- how late are the stores open and location in town?

Hokitika is a pretty small town so you can walk around and look thru all the shops in a few hours if your really looking at everything. I am not 100% sure but I think most of the shops would be open until 5 on a Monday. There is one place in town that will teach you how to carve your own thing but its a full 8 hour day to finish. So I would say that to have something made for you it might take somewhere around that same time. Its not the carving its the polishing that takes forever. Since your from the USA you can buy some Jade in NZ and then buy a dremel when you get back and carve your own. The dremel cost around $100 with all the bits and a 8 hour lesson cost $250nz. So it depends on how creative you are. Hope that helps.

Lakeville, Minnesota
Level Contributor
256 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jade- how late are the stores open and location in town?

Thanks for the info. Maybe I'll just buy a pre-made piece and then just watch them at work, since as you said, it would be a full day otherwise.

3. Re: Jade- how late are the stores open and location in town?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, March 04, 2010