We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Greymouth to Fox Glacier and back in a day

Bangalore
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Greymouth to Fox Glacier and back in a day

I am planning to travel to Fox Glacier from Greymouth and get back the same evening. Is it too much of stretch to cover that distance in a day ? If not, can some one please suggest what is the best mode of transport ? When I contacted a rental car company, I was told that the depot in Greymouth is small and that there is a minimal rental period for cars . Are there buses in that route ? Intercity buses don't really match the timing I am looking at.

Thanks

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,461 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Greymouth to Fox Glacier and back in a day

Hello Maria :)

Trying to do the trip in one day on public transportation won't work, and as you have discovered, renting a car for just one day is difficult too.

If you post your entire intended NZ itinerary plus your method of travel (all by bus?), plus when you intend to travel, perhaps we can better advise you :)

Edited: 3:23 pm, March 20, 2010
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
749 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Greymouth to Fox Glacier and back in a day

Maria,

All the bus and shuttle companies have a similar timing for a specific target -- the Tranzalpine train's arrival from ChCh. This means their schedules are fixed and there is no way you will be able to do Grey-Fox- Grey in the same day. You will have to stay a night in Fox.

Also check out Atomic or Naked bus if you don't mind shuttles.

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,886 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Greymouth to Fox Glacier and back in a day

Hi,

there are more than just one rental car company in Greymouth. taking the word of one doesnt necessarily reprsent the whole lot.

it is about 2.5 hour drive to fox and about 2 hour drive to franz, most do a day trip to franz from greymouth.

maria , not all bus and shuttles have the same time table.

if you did want take public transport to franz, Atomic shuttles leave greymouth at 7.30 am they travel south from fox, then swap over with a bus from

Queenstown and retun to greymouth, that option woukd give you plenty of time in franz. as opposed to the time left in fox

Edited: 12:16 am, March 21, 2010
Bangalore
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Greymouth to Fox Glacier and back in a day

Thank you all for the suggestions.

5. Re: Greymouth to Fox Glacier and back in a day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, September 20, 2010