We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Margaret River in August - too wet??

Singapore, Singapore
3 posts
Save Topic
Margaret River in August - too wet??

Hi all - I'm planning a trip with family to Margaret River in August, but read online that winter typically means a lot of rainfall? Is it still recommended to visit in August?

Thanks so much.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
15,247 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Margaret River in August - too wet??

The southwest is a lovely place in winter. Some accomodation places have log fires and spas to warm up in.

The ocean is lovely and wild, the caves lakes are full. Everything is green and lush.

Rain really makes no difference. You are still going to drive and explore and find lovely sights and craft places and gorgeous coast lines (better sunsets in winter with clouds), and vineyards etc.

australia
Level Contributor
446 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Margaret River in August - too wet??

Hi, we were last in MR in August 2 years ago, and sadly it did rain every day. It is a beautiful area and I would like to say the rain didn't bother us....but it did hamper us to a degree. Still....who knows what the weather will be these days! I guess you just have to take your chances. A friend always plans outside events around the full moon! Apparently less chance of rain...I don't know, but we did plan our daughters wedding with this in mind and it was a beautiful day in between wet days. Worth considering. :)

Singapore, Singapore
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Margaret River in August - too wet??

Thanks for much for taking time to reply. I'll definitely consider that.

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,396 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Margaret River in August - too wet??

Last year's stats;

bom.gov.au/climate/…IDCJDW6081.201108.shtml

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,745 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Margaret River in August - too wet??

I have always preferred visiting the SW of WA in the winter. A good coat for getting outside when not raining too heavily and accommodation with a log fire, heaven IMO. Much nicer than 40 degrees... It is all about the mind set. Go with the idea that rain will not curtail your activities and it won't - unless of course it is blowing a gale and torrential rain for every single waking moment but highly unlikely.

Singapore, Singapore
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Margaret River in August - too wet??

Sue, Perthite - many thanks!

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
22,405 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Margaret River in August - too wet??

There's no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong clothes :-)

Seriously, though, while you probably won't want to swim at the beach, with the right attitude and clothes you can have a very enjoyable time whatever the weather.

8. Re: Margaret River in August - too wet??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, July 09, 2013