We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winery recommendations (for MR and surrounds)

Which Margaret River hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Winery recommendations (for MR and surrounds)

Hiya!

We're headed to MR in a couple of weeks and I'm hoping for some snobby wine recommendations :-p

We're young, we like interesting wines (keep us away from the biggies like vasse felix, etc) tending toward small wineries and, of course, the pretty ones. Also, we'll be driving ourselves, so no tours.

Suggestions? Thanks!

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,405 posts
284 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Winery recommendations (for MR and surrounds)

The options are endless.

I like Clairault, one of the oldest wineries in MR and not a bit of pretention, also very pretty and fab wines. If you want splashy and over-the-top (but still pretty), Laurance will fit the bill, but they're not small by any stretch.

Graylyn Estate makes some mean fortifieds, Knotting Hill is another favorite on a stunning estate, Bettany's makes an interesting hot chili rose, McHenry Hohen makes a nice shiraz and a unique red zin. I could go on and on, but I'm getting intoxicated just thinking about all the choices.

Grab yourself a bottle of something nice and take it over to Olio Bello for lunch - wonderful homemade pastas and sauces made with local ingredients, like MR venison, etc. BYO.

Have fun and have one for me.

Edited: 4:19 am, June 26, 2012
A J
Subiaco, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Margaret River
Level Contributor
2,798 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Winery recommendations (for MR and surrounds)

Mel is correct...the options are endless. Over 120 wineries and after many years visiting the region I doubt Ive checked out half of them. I doubt you'll find any snobbery involved, at least with the service you get. Some of the flashier wineries might at first appear snobby but all have friendly service whether you buy or just sample. I find with the smaller wineries where you may be the only people there that if I dont like their wines I feel guilty walking out ( I usually buy 1 bottle at least for their trouble).

The 'pretty' wineries are typically the bigger players and they have lakes, gardens or views.

I'd suggest getting one of the free wine maps (available at the visitor centres and at most wineries) and spend half a day/all day cruising around where the greatest concentration of wineries are - between Cowaramup and Dunsborough.

Or, lob into the Margaret River Regional Wine Centre:

http://mrwines.com/

They stock pretty much every wine in the region and have all the info on wineries. Get some good local knowledge before you head out.

The visitor centre in the MR township also has a display of many of the wines and info on all the wineries in the region and the staff there are very helpful.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,405 posts
284 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Winery recommendations (for MR and surrounds)

Glad to hear I'm not the only guilt purchaser AJ, although it's a rare occasion that I can't find something drinkable.

A J
Subiaco, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,798 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Winery recommendations (for MR and surrounds)

Or...you move away from the wine tasting and find a cheap bottle opener or coffee cup souvenier and buy that instead :))

perth
Level Contributor
308 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Winery recommendations (for MR and surrounds)

Pierro Winery is definitely worth visiting.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,405 posts
284 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Winery recommendations (for MR and surrounds)

:)

Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Winery recommendations (for MR and surrounds)

Hay Shed Hill. Brown Hill. Redgate. Eagle Vale. Briarose. Wise Wines. Wills Domain. How long's a piece of string......................

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Winery recommendations (for MR and surrounds)

Ah, but I'm not interested in string lengths, just in lovely small production wines! Ha, a bad joke, definitely not a funny joke. ;-p

Thank you for your suggestions! I am noting them down as we... type.

Keep 'em coming.

Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Winery recommendations (for MR and surrounds)

You do yourself a disservice by avoiding Vasse Felix though.

A J
Subiaco, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,798 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Winery recommendations (for MR and surrounds)

You want small..ok, Check out Windance. Cellar door is not much more than a shed!

BUT...they've won a swag of awards. We always stop by there every visit to MR

http://www.windance.com.au/

Also for something a bit different check out "The Grove Vineyard"

https:/…index.php

Not only wine tasting/sales but also lots of spirits and liquers to taste. Pretty good cafe there too!

Another is "Woody Nook"

http://www.woodynook.com.au/

Small and rustic. Have a try of their port "Nooky Delight" :-)