We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Margaret River wineries - which ones to visit?

Australia
Level Contributor
342 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Margaret River wineries - which ones to visit?

Could anyone please help me with which wineries to visit, will only have time to visit a couple, maybe have lunch at one, so if anyone can suggest any that we should visit it would be appreciated.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,820 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Margaret River wineries - which ones to visit?

There are literally hundreds down there so its a really impossible thing to ask as every single person in WA has a different favourite.

There are the massive soul less tin shed variety, the extremely posh snobby look down their nose at you manicured lawns and overpriced food ones, the cute quaint family run traditional ones.

Whats your style - that would give people a better idea of what to suggest for you - rather than just suggesting their personal favourites.

Sometimes the best way is to simply go for a drive and when you pass a cellar door sign that strikes your fancy - swing up the drive way.

Australia
Level Contributor
342 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Margaret River wineries - which ones to visit?

Thanks for your reply Perfectly Perth, I was hoping to see a bit of a cross section of the different sorts of wineries, have lunch at one, we also want to have a look through Mammoth Cave, check out the Margaret Rive township and go down to Lleuwin lighthouse for a drive. Not sure what order to do this in over 2 days, we're looking at staying at Abbey Beach Resort, a few people recommended this resort, any thoughts?? We will be doing this in April 2012. thank you

Western Australia
Level Contributor
413 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Margaret River wineries - which ones to visit?

Abbey Beach Resort is lovely and has both indoor and outdoor pools. It is a very large resort with all the usual amenities, just a little impersonal. The units are fully equipped for self catering and even the studios have a microwave, toaster, crockery and cutlery so you can put together a simple meal if you want to. One of the more reasonably priced but decent places in an area where accomodation prices are outrageously expensive. You get the best prices by booking on line direct with the resort and if you sign up for their e news letter you get access to even cheaper special deals.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,315 posts
1,484 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Margaret River wineries - which ones to visit?

We enjoyed visiting Xanadu / Evan & Tates & Brown Hill wineries when we explored the Margaret River region. We also had lunch at some of the little wineries like Woody Nook.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,462 posts
294 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Margaret River wineries - which ones to visit?

I'm partial to Clairault, one of the oldest wineries in MR. They have fab wine and are completely unpretentious. They have a reputation for excellent food, but unfortunately I've not had the chance to eat there yet.

I'm a huge fan of Lamont's here in the Swan Valley and I've never had a bad meal there. I've visited their MR location too - they have a similiar menu and a similiar laid back vibe.

Olio Bello is my favorite MR lunch venue - wonderful pasta and sauces made with local ingredients. BYO.

You can download the MR region map via this link. It will help you plan your route, so you can best use your limited time.

margaretriver.com/pages/black-and-white-map/

Australia
Level Contributor
342 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Margaret River wineries - which ones to visit?

thanks for all the replies, I'll join up for the e news for Abbey Beach Resort. The map for the area will be a great help, I'll print it off and check out the wineries mentioned.

Western Australia
Level Contributor
202 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Margaret River wineries - which ones to visit?

Abbey Beach Resort is in Busselton, at least a 45 minute drive from the town of Margaret River. There are many wineries situated in the Shire of Busselton as well. A favourite of mine is Voyager Estate. Lovely morning teas, and a beautiful rose garden.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,820 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Margaret River wineries - which ones to visit?

My fave is www.gralyn.com.au Gralyn Estate - nice family run place.

No opinion on Abbey Beach Resort - the fact that something has "resort" in the title generally puts me off completely.

I prefer small cottages out on vineyards and farms or B&Bs.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,512 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Margaret River wineries - which ones to visit?

Yallingup Luxury Retreat is hard to beat and is located just off Caves Rd but is noy cheap, depending on your budget. This is a good central place for exploring with great amenities.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g488371-d578575…

If you want to visit the lighhouse then Wise Winery is on your way there - nice lunches with a great view or good stop for winetasting and coffee.

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g488341-d850…

Edited: 7:29 pm, September 19, 2011
A J
Subiaco, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Margaret River
Level Contributor
2,842 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Margaret River wineries - which ones to visit?

With over 120 wineries you'll get a different recommendation from each person you ask. Many of the wineries are visible from Caves Road as you drive along with a high concentration between Wildwood Rd and Cowaramup Bay Rd. You cant miss the big flashy wineries along this stretch if you want the 'wow' factor option...with IMO Saracen Estate being the flashiest. The bigger wineries will no doubt also be the busiest and you may be competing for attention with a tour group or two whereas the smaller wineries will offer a more personal (and arguably friendlier) service. However, you wont be disappointed visiting any of the above mentioned wineries. A few others to throw into the mix are: Leeuwin Estate, Voyager, Watershed, Driftwood, Palandri, Amberley and Wills Domain...with the last one offering a pretty good lunch menu to boot :)

Regarding accommodtion I'm in the same camp as perfectlyperth. I also shun the 'resorts' and prefer the solitude of chalet in the forest or a winery. In April you may have cool/chilly nights and to relax in a secluded chalet and in front of a log fire with a glass of red after a full day exploring can be just the icing on the cake :)

Have fun researching all the above suggestions...its a bit daunting for a first time visitor huh!? :-o