We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Perth Airport to Margaret River via Bunbury

Which Margaret River hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
11 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Perth Airport to Margaret River via Bunbury

Hi

We are a family of 2 Adults and 3 kids ( 12/8/3 yrs old ) from Singapore doing a Self drive holiday from 22 Nov - 28 Nov. As we are arriving on Sunday afternoon 2.45pm, we will be spending a day in Bunbury before heading down to MR the next day.

Can u advise where i can download/buy a detailed road map for the drive to Bunbury via old Old coast road and MR for me to plan the route before i arrive.

I realised that the supermarket close at 4pm on Sunday, is there any supermarket along the drive to Bunbury where we can get some fresh local fruits and bread. We are on a semi-vegetabrian diet. If there is none available, i am willing to use the other expressway that cut through Pinjarra..

Thanks in advance for your help.

A J
Subiaco, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Margaret River
Level Contributor
2,813 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Driving from Perth Airport to Margaret River via Bunbury

Core TEE exams finish 20th Nov. Some further exams finish Nov 25th.

…wa.edu.au/internet/…Exam_Timetables

Leavers week 'officially' starts Nov 23 however many destinations are allowing leavers to book before this date.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,679 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Driving from Perth Airport to Margaret River via Bunbury

To add a little to the conversation I couldn't recommend your driving to Bunbury after dark, tired from your flight and hanging around in the airport and trying to be alert for kangaroos. I would also suggest staying in the Perth metro area for your first night- Wattle Grove sounds like a good suggestion if the reviews are true/

Singapore
Level Contributor
11 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Driving from Perth Airport to Margaret River via Bunbury

Tks DrPArk for the detailed driving route. It;s really helpful as i was wondering where to turn left or right .

And yes York Foodie, I am contemplating taking your advice. But as i will be staying in perth for a night on my return leg from MR, i may want to explore the outskirt areas. may be Swan Valley/ Pinjarra as i was hoping to get a taste of Australian country life or Mandurah for the sea view

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,679 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Driving from Perth Airport to Margaret River via Bunbury

Wattle Grove is almost semi-rural, certainly not hustle and bustle. Unfortunately the outskirts like Pinjarra are where the roos also like to hang out so unless you're alert you might start off your holiday with more of a bang than you had planned.

Singapore
Level Contributor
11 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Driving from Perth Airport to Margaret River via Bunbury

I read somewhere that there is a new highway from Perth to Bunbury which will cut travelling time. I was trying to get a map on this inalnd route but wasn't successful. Can someone advise where to get or some route instruction. Tks.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,672 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Driving from Perth Airport to Margaret River via Bunbury

I mentioned the new Forrest Highway in post #3 but there have been numerous posts about it on this forum in recent times. Basically if you use google maps, where it currently tells you to turn off the Kwinana Freeway at Baldivis there is now a continuing highway.

Singapore
Level Contributor
11 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Driving from Perth Airport to Margaret River via Bunbury

Tks PerthiteOZ.

I use google map to navigate and see what u mean now. Can i confirm that the new forrest highway will join old coast road at Lake Clifton? I presume there wont be any petrol koisk on this new highway?... If i were to go from perth airport via Tonkin/Roe highway/Kwinana highway, will i pass by any petrol station / or 24hr supermarket before i reach the new forrest highway. And using this new forrest highway should cut the travelling time to under 2 hours? Tks again for the assistance.

Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Driving from Perth Airport to Margaret River via Bunbury

Once you get on the Kwinana Freeway heading south that road, no matter what it is called at any given point, takes you directly to Bunbury. There are no shops or petrol stations on the Tonkin, Roe or Kwinana highways/freeway. You could divert into Mandurah if you need to shop.

You should be aware that shopping hours in WA are generally very restricted, particularly in the Perth area and particularly on weekends - but don't get us started on THAT debate again....

19. Re: Driving from Perth Airport to Margaret River via Bunbury

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, May 09, 2010