We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Super Pit Kalgoorlie

Which Kalgoorlie-Boulder hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
63 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Super Pit Kalgoorlie

Hi

Am visiting Kalgoorlie next weekend. Would lke to see the Super Pit or Mine. Is it worth the $70? Do you have to book? Can I just drive around it and look at it? Is there a flight over it?

Anything else to see in Kalgoorlie? Any good BYO RESTAURANTS?

Many thanks

Ger

8 replies to this topic
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,405 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Super Pit Kalgoorlie

$70? Is this for some kind of tour? We visited the Super Pit on our own and it cost us nothing. We also took a mine tour which was interesting, but didn't cost anywhere near $70. I'll look up the name of the restaurant we liked and post it in a bit.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,405 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Super Pit Kalgoorlie

Okay...we had a couple of good meals at Judd's located in the Kalgoorlie Hotel on Hannan Street.

We took a mine tour at the Australian Prospector's & Miner's Hall of Fame, which included a gold pouring demo and free run of the grounds ($30, a few years ago anyway).

You might be interested in the Royal Flying Doctors Visitors Center, but they weren't open at the weekends when we were there.

Plenty of nightlife (saw your earlier post) and lots of pubs with semi clad barmaids if that's your thing. Also tours of the local cathouse (brothel).

FYI - Perth to Kalgoorlie takes 8 hours, each way.

Perth
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Super Pit Kalgoorlie

I booked a helicopter flight over the superpit for my husbands birthday. This left from the Mining hall of fame. We arrived, waited, waited and finally a staff member called Heliwest and we were advised that the pilot had gone to Perth for the weekend as he said he had no bookings. I booked 2 months in advance!!

That said, if you can get a secured booking those that have taken this flight say it is really good.

The underground mine tour from the Hall of fame is also good and worth doing.

Ther are a lot of places to eat in the main street. Any of the pubs or taverns do good food. Just take your pick. Walk up and down the main street and have a look at the menus and then choose. The Palace Hotel upstairs has a good restaurant, and the food at The Exchange Hotel has good pub food.

If you have a car take a drive out of town to the pub at Ora Banda. Very old iron traditional mining pub. Lunch out here is quite good (burger type food) and on some afternoons they have music (not great but entertaining).

You can find huge amounts to do in and around Kalgoorlie.

Enjoy

Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Super Pit Kalgoorlie

Last time I was in Kal ( some years ago) you could drive up to a free lookout and gaze into the hole - it is big! My wife drove up there every day of our visit.......

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
63 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Super Pit Kalgoorlie

Many thanks to you all for Kal and Super Pit comments. I think we will visit the Pit ourselves and then take the Town Hall Tour

Chers

Ger

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
483 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Super Pit Kalgoorlie

Hi Ger

FYI

I had planned to drive up to the lookout to view the mine pit. As Numbat mentioned they drove up there frquently.

To access the Super Pit viewing platform take the Outram Street turnoff from the Goldfields Highway. Admission is free and opening hours are from 6am to 7pm daily. It's best to take photographs of the Super Pit in the middle of the day - at other times shadows can obscure large areas of the mine.

Notice on the Miners Hall of Fame website 'We regret to advise that we will be closed to the public until further notice from close of business on Friday, 2nd of December, 2011. We thank you for your support, loyalty and wishes.'

Julie

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
63 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Super Pit Kalgoorlie

Hi Julie

Many thanks for your advice re the Super Pit.

Ger

Beer Sheva
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Super Pit Kalgoorlie

Too late for you Ger, and unfortunately also for me: The tour is far from being worth a tenth of this charge. We saw very little more than what we could see from the lookout (for free). They did not show us any process and most important, we did not go down even slightly below the edge level. I was left with a feeling as if they are telling me: We got your money for nothing in return, and now shut up.

Reply to: Super Pit Kalgoorlie
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kalgoorlie-Boulder