We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lakes Entrance recommended in July?

Singapore
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Lakes Entrance recommended in July?

I have a week in Melbourne this July and have done the GOR before. I was looking at going in the other direction and was wondering if Lakes Entrance is a place to go to during winter?

Is it extremely cold? What activities are there to do in the winter? I understand that it's off peak season then.

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Lakes Entrance
Lakes Entrance
Gippsland, Australia
5 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Lakes Entrance recommended in July?

LE is essentially a summer lakeside town, nice town but would be a bit cold and dull in the depths of winter.

For a week in winter in Melbourne, I would suggest a series of day trips -

1. A trip to Bendigo via gold towns of Maldon and Castlemaine.

2. A trip to the Yarra Valley winery region, Healesville etc.

3. A trip to Mornington Peninsula - ferry to Queenscliff and back via Geelong

4. A trip to the Dandenong Ranges villages

5. A trip to Soveriegn Hill, Ballarat, home via Daylesford, Trentham and Kyneton

6. A trip to Walhalla in the latrobe Valley, an old gold town in a deep gorge

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Bendigo
Bendigo
Greater Bendigo, Australia
Yarra Valley
Yarra Valley
Victoria, Australia
Mornington Peninsula
Mornington Peninsula
Victoria, Australia
Geelong
Geelong
City of Greater Geelong, Australia
Ballarat
Ballarat
Victoria, Australia
Daylesford
Daylesford
Victoria, Australia
Singapore
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Lakes Entrance recommended in July?

Thanks for the advice! I was looking for a 3 day trip to the outskirts after arriving at the airport then coming into the city for 4 nights.

Also I'm won't be going skiing/up the snow mountains. I'm more of looking for a town that's a few hours drive away to stay in which there's some quiet surroundings.

I've visited and will be visiting again some of the places you've mentioned. :D will check out the others.

Lakes Entrance...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Lakes Entrance recommended in July?

Lakes Entrance is a very popular holiday destination all year round , including during winter months when the climate is often a few degrees warmer than Melbourne. It offers many water sports. You may try some kayaking, take a Lakes Entrance cruise and watch for dolphins in winter. Visit this site for more exciting activities. lakes-entrance-australia.com.au/lakes-entran…

For a memorable stay in a Lakes Entrance accommodation, choose to stay at Bellevue on the Lakes. Hope you 'll have a wonderful vacation in July!

Edited: 5:58 am, January 30, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Lakes Entrance
Lakes Entrance
Gippsland, Australia
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Bellevue on the Lakes
Bellevue on the Lakes
439 Reviews
Lakes Entrance, Australia
Metung, Australia
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Lakes Entrance recommended in July?

Lakes Entrance offers several activities even in winter months...Check out this link: http://www.discovereastgippsland.com.au/

Mentioned in this post
Lakes Entrance
Lakes Entrance
Gippsland, Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
26 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lakes Entrance recommended in July?

Hi, we just spent Easter weekend at Lakes Entrance. Was lovely and hot on Good Friday, then weather changed. Very cold. Make sure you have appropriate clothing with you. We stayed at Heyfield Motel, on The Esplanade, Great prices, nice clean rooms, free wifi, just ask staff for code. As for where to eat. We found this awesome place called Canstairs Lakes Pizza & Fish & Chips. If you love seafood then don't go past this shop. We were recommended by owner to try Gummy Shark in lemon pepper. He stated it is exquisite !!!!! He's telling the truth, so divine it left you wanting more.

The Buchan Caves are approx 45 mins away if you're into that. Recommend you get there really early around 8-9 am. Being Easter and school holidays the queue was really long.

Mentioned in this post
Lakes Entrance
Lakes Entrance
Gippsland, Australia
Buchan Caves
Buchan Caves
336 Reviews
Buchan, Australia
Reply to: Lakes Entrance recommended in July?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted