We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Possible year exchange to Ballarat from Canada

Osoyoos, BC
Level Contributor
21 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Possible year exchange to Ballarat from Canada

I had a recent exchange opportunity fall through. Almost ended up in Yamba, NSW. I got really excited, now I have another opportunity to live in Ballarat for a year and after looking on line and extensive research, my heart just can't get over the first location. Tell me if you love Ballarat and what you think it has to offer a young couple in their early 30's! Please help.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Possible year exchange to Ballarat from Canada

u might do as well to ask this in the Victoria forum as well.

u might get a wider audience.

Yamba is a village. Ballarat is a small city of some historical significance.

For a year's stay I think the latter may be a little more rewarding culturally and socially.

Osoyoos, BC
Level Contributor
21 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Possible year exchange to Ballarat from Canada

Thank you!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,403 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Possible year exchange to Ballarat from Canada

Another vote for Ballarat.

Great location and proximity to other attractions in Victoria would sell me.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
291 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Possible year exchange to Ballarat from Canada

Ballarat is a beautiful place, close to Melbourne and the Grampians. A very significant historical place in Australia's Colonial history. This place is 150% better than Yamba (apologies to Yamba aficionados). I've also found Ballarat people are very friendly and welcoming. Enjoy!

Ballina, Australia
Level Contributor
939 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Possible year exchange to Ballarat from Canada

150% hmm, would like to know how you arrived at that figure. Ballarat is a nice place and it does have historical significance for Australians, but 30yr old Canadians, for a year! And being close to Melbourne is a negative

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Possible year exchange to Ballarat from Canada

Hi Oso, I think the answer depends on what you both like to do or want from your stay.

Although I have not been to Yamba , it is on my bucket list to visit there one day - it looks amazing! I think the draw card of Yamba would undoubtedly be that is on the coast and is a little seaside town , not another Hawaii or Gold Coast. Google tells me that Yamba is approximately a population of 7,000. What you might want to ask some people in the know, is the exact demographics of the age group in Yamba as I noticed that Yamba is a popular town for the retired set. Not sure if there would be many options for nightlife in Yamba either.

In comparison, Ballarat has a population of around 94,000 so you can see the difference in size already. Fyi, Melbourne has around 4million. When we were in Ballarat recently, we noticed how young everyone was (e.g. 20-35 yrs) . Maybe the affordability of housing in Ballarat draws young families? Not sure.

Anyway, Ballarat is a like a charming, little "country" city. It still has lots of bars, art galleries, major chainstores/shops, restaurants, a uni, a hospital, etc but it still retains it's charm. As others have noted, it is also a town of cultural and historical significance (gold rush days) which makes the place very interesting. Also, I think being close to Melbourne makes is a positive. Melbourne is any easy 1.15min drive.

So, it depends on what you want. If you want to swim, surf and have a laid back experience, then Yamba might be more suitable. But if you think you'll be bored, then Ballarat still has a laid back feel but with all the modern conveniences.

Regardless of where you end up, have have a great trip

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Possible year exchange to Ballarat from Canada

Glenn W, apparently Yamba isn't an option for the OP any more, so they are asking for info about Ballarat. I'm not sure what you hope to achieve from your negative posts about Ballarat & Melbourne.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
21,793 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Possible year exchange to Ballarat from Canada

Close to Melbourne is a huge plus IMO. There's also an express train service I believe. Melbourne has much to offer the 30-somethings IMO, having a lot to offer in the way of great restaurants, quality shopping and cultural experiences- museums, theatre, exhibitions etc.

And there's a little town nearby to Ballarat that has a cafe which sells the best vanilla slices in the universe :-)

Edited: 7:07 am, June 28, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,403 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Possible year exchange to Ballarat from Canada

>>>And there's a little town nearby to Ballarat that has a cafe which sells the best vanilla slices in the universe<<<

Nice YF.

That alone would be enough to entice me to Ballarat! And I too cannot possibly see the downside to having Melbourne in travelling proximity.

Ballina, Australia
Level Contributor
939 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Possible year exchange to Ballarat from Canada

The OP clearly expressed disappointment at missing out on Yamba. I would have thought they would have researched this town and were obviously excited about going there. I would then assume they would have researched Ballarat and clearly weren't as excited with this option. This tells me they wanted a coastal village atmosphere and not somewhere near the city of gloom