We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ballarat or Bendigo

Which Ballarat hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
611 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Ballarat or Bendigo

I hesitate to ask as I know people will tell me I should spend a week in each but that is not possible. I visited both cities by car in 1987 but this time have 3 nights (4 days) to spend by train and bus from Melbourne to Ballarat then Bendigo and back in late August.

I will be leaving Melbourne on Monday morning and have to catch the night train back to Sydney on Thursday night. I am undecided which city to spend 2 nights and the other 1 night.

1. Re: Ballarat or Bendigo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:37 pm, January 17, 2012
Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
11,993 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ballarat or Bendigo

Hi Brian,

Some seem to have issues with Ballarat.

I would personally stay the 2 nights in Ballarat. I find it a great little city, with lovely people and great places to visit.

Safe travels - Robert

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,923 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ballarat or Bendigo

We really enjoyed Ballarat as well on a brief visit there last month. Can't compare it to Bendigo though as we haven't been there.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
12,159 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ballarat or Bendigo

We visited both towns a number of years ago and found more to see and do in Ballarat than Bendigo.

I'd spend 2 nights in Ballarat, one night in Bendigo.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
611 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ballarat or Bendigo

What a ridiculous statement, Winslowboi. I love Europe and travel there nearly every year but also like to see my own country. I am an Australian, now living in NZ. I actually made the Australian trip last August and stayed 2 nights in Ballarat near Sovereign Hill and spent a full day there and in the museum opposite. Unfortunately the Eureka Stockade was closed for renovations, may be open now, check. I then went out to the Lake and park which was very peaceful and the prisoner of war memorial was moving.

I only spent 1 night in Bendigo but stayed as long as possible catching a later train back to Melbourne than planned. I preferred Bendigo as a city, enjoyed the tram ride, a tour of the mine and some heritage walks.

Not having a car, my motel in Ballarat was good for Sovereign Hill but was a good walk out of town.

Thanks to the other commenters.

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
5,271 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ballarat or Bendigo

Brian, thank you for getting back to us and letting us know what you did.

Winslowboi, it amazes me why someone would search the forums and then come up with a ridiculous statement some 6 months after the initial post.

7. Re: Ballarat or Bendigo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 am, July 19, 2014