We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nov 14-15 Launceston activities?

Which Launceston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Nov 14-15 Launceston activities?

I will travel for 2 weeks in Tasmania with friends. Cradle Mt. area , East Coast, & Hobart area are part of that itinerary.

I will be in Launceston for Nov/14-15 weekend before departing early Monday for US.

No car. Central hotel is confirmed.

The Tasmania Zoo and also their night time Safari seem interesting. What do think of night Safari tour?

What else do you suggest for that weekend?

My total Australian trip is 1 month. I don't think I'll have a chance to visit Tassie again so all the information on these forums has been so helpful.

Thanks,

AnnieE

Tasmania
Level Contributor
968 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nov 14-15 Launceston activities?

Hi Annie

Tasmania Zoo is definitely a good idea, they have a bus shuttle service for those that dont drive. You could easily spend the afternoon/early evening there! Have never been on their safari tour though.

Also, a trip to Cataract Gorge is a must, you can walk to there from town. If you are a beer fan, the Boags Brewery do a good tour, and they are in town too. The Design Centre near City Park is a good place to visit, as is the Queen Victoria Museum and Art Gallery at Inveresk. There are also walking tours of the city.

There are many good cafes and restaurants throughout the city, let us know if you would like some recommendations.

Cheers,

Where are you staying?

Tasmania
Level Contributor
968 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nov 14-15 Launceston activities?

Could have been more helpful if I had included some links!

Launceston Walks: 1842.com.au/launceston_historic_walks.html

Design Centre: http://designcentre.com.au/

QVMAG: http://www.qvmag.tas.gov.au/

Unfortunately, I just checked and the brewery tours do not run weekends, sorry about that.

Cheers,

Seattle
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nov 14-15 Launceston activities?

Hello RedPanda,

Thanks for the quick response and the links. I am staying at the Penny Royal.

Will definitely do the history walk, use the shuttle to the zoo and visit the open museum. Also the design museum.

Is there any day tour to see the Tamar River Valley attractions - the platypus house, etc. Haven't found one but would be nice to have 1 day in Launceston and 1 day in the country. Is there a Sunday market?

I read some of the posts for restaurants. I'll have 3 evening meals and 2 lunches. Always nice to have view and/or outside seating. What do you suggest?(I'll be coming back to a long stretch of rainy, cloudy winter Seattle weather so want to enjoy your spring !)

Thanks,

AnnieE

Tasmania
Level Contributor
968 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nov 14-15 Launceston activities?

Hi again AnnieE

there are a few day tours from Launceston, here are a couple of links:

http://www.tigerwilderness.com.au/

tourstogo.com.au/tour/…

A google search will probably come up with quite a few more!

As for restaurants, you are staying opposite Stillwater, which is right on the river. Also try one of the restaurants at Seaport (a short walk along the river from Penny Royal), the Gorge Restaurant or Basin Cafe (both right in Cataract Gorge itself) or one of the many cafes and restaurants along George and Charles Streets. Loads of places to eat in Launceston!

I hope November has beautiful weather for you!

Cheers,

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,122 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nov 14-15 Launceston activities?

Annie, Good advice from RedPanda already.

There is a very good market at Evandale on Sunday (near the airport) but I'm not aware of any tour companies that go there. However, if you contact the guided walking tour people, they might be able to help.

Similarly, the only company I know that does a tour of the Tamar Valley and out to Beaconsfield (which is worth seeing) has not been running recently due to the economic downturn. There are several companies that run wine tours of the Tamar Valley and if that suits you, RedPanda might be able to help there.

The Queen Victoria Museum is worth a visit, as is the Design Centre. 1842 Gallery (where the guided walk starts) is also good and actually makes woody struff there.

I agree with Redpanda on restaurants, too. You'll be right opposite Stillwater which is possibly Launceston's best restaurant. Other good ones are Novaro's (in Brisbane Street), Black Cow, Pickled Evenings (both in George Street), but the CBD is a good walk or a cheap cab fare from Pennyroyal.

I'll do a bit of searching to see what I can find in the way of day-tour companies. Must admit, there's less demand for that in Launceston than in Hobart.

Luigi

6. Re: Nov 14-15 Launceston activities?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 3:41 am, October 06, 2009
Tasmania
Level Contributor
968 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nov 14-15 Launceston activities?

Here's a well known wine tour company for the Tamar Valley, hope this helps!

http://www.valleybrook.com.au/

There's are several others out there too, but more of the 'personalised' kind, a different price range again. If your budget allows, let me know and I will give you some recommendations.

Tasmania
Level Contributor
444 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nov 14-15 Launceston activities?

Hi Annie

To answer your question about markets, there is a Sunday market at Inveresk (Esk Market) from 9am -2pm. Easy walking distance if you find you have time and you want to check it out. The Queen Victoria Museum and Art Gallery is also located within the Inveresk precinct, as is Blue Cafe if you find yourself there around lunch time - a nice relaxed cafe with good food and some outside dining.

As suggested already, the Gorge and the Seaport also have some good eating options. In the city itself both the Metz (cnr York and St John St) and the Star Bar (Charles Street) are popular options with outside dining. As suggested, there are heaps of good options.

I hope you have a fantastic weekend in Launceston.

Lani

Seattle
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nov 14-15 Launceston activities?

Greetings,

Luigi, I just emailed the walking company as you suggested about 1 day Tamar Valley tour.

(I will be with a Seattle garden tour which includes 1 fast overnight Nov. 1 in Launceston. We see 2 private gardens in town and then a private garden and nursery on way to Cradle Mt.

Later a friend and I will spend 6 days in Hobart and have found a lot of sightseeing w/o a car in that area.

I don't care about wineries unless that's the only way to get around in Tamar valley area.

Will do walking tour for sure since my interests are history, scenery, culture, hiking etc.

Lani, thanks for all your tips including Esk Sunday Market.

Red PandaJ --Thanks for your good ideas.

and EVERYONE!, Thanks for Eating ideas! My sightseeing plans will also include your restaurant recs. (The fast paced Aussie garden tour starts Oct 18 in Sydney so I'll be glad to relax and try some of these interesting restaurants in Launceston before returning to Seattle.)

I don't mind paying "cheap cab rides to reach CBD"

Thanks for all your help.

AnnieE

Tasmania
Level Contributor
968 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nov 14-15 Launceston activities?

You're more than welcome, AnnieE. Sounds like a very interesting tour that you are coming to Tasmania for, be sure to let us know how it goes!

Cheers, and hope you have a safe journey