We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 night stay in Launceston in winter

Which Launceston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne
6 posts
Save Topic
5 night stay in Launceston in winter

Hi everyone,

My fiance and I have booked a 5 night stay in Launceston, peppers seaport, at the end of July. Neither of us have been to Tasmania before and are at a bit of a loss as to what there is to do in Launceston (especially as it will be the low-season and a lot of attractions seem to be closed). We aren't planning to hire a car if we can get away with it, but are open to day trips if the mood strikes us.

Does anyone have any ideas of what to see and do, places to eat, etc. Is Hobart too far for a day trip? Also, what is public transport like in Launceston?

We are keen to make it a low cost holiday, but do want to make it worthwhile and memorable. We are into wildlife, bushwalks, and generally enjoying nature, but also city and night life!

melbourne
Level Contributor
6,745 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 night stay in Launceston in winter

have stayed at peppers, which room or suite type are you getting?

are you getting breakfast included?

Hobart would be about 3hrs drive from memory.

any ques re peppers just ask

Melbourne
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 night stay in Launceston in winter

staying in a city room, no b'fast included - figured there would be plenty of cafes, bakeries, etc

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,450 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 night stay in Launceston in winter

We visited Tasmania in spring of 2005. What comes to mind in Launceston is Cataract Gorge, it's out of the CBD so you'd need to check on pubic transport. We also went to the Mole Creek caves and historic Clarendon House. There's also Franklin House, which we didn't visit on that trip. Sorry I can't help with info on public transport or tours, we had a rental car. For bushwalking Cradle Mountain is fantastic. That was our next stop so we didn't set out particularly early. Long winding road. Perhaps someone else can advise if it's doable in a day and whether there are any tours or do you need to rent a car. We never visited the redeveloped waterfront area where your accomodation is located so i can't say anything about that. I must admit to thinking that I would find Hobart a nicer place to visit if I didn't have transport. Also there are day tours to the Tasman Peninsula. Anyway, I've mentioned a few things to look into and hopefully someone who's more familiar with the area will come up with some more ideas.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
158 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 night stay in Launceston in winter

misshayhay,

I stayed in Launceston for 2 weeks in September 2005. They have a really well informed tourist information centre in town which I know you would find helpful. Hobart is a good 2and1/2 to 3 hour drive and is mostly expressway. We visited Hobart but ended up spending overnight there so we could go to Port Arthur which I would definately say was well worth seeing. I really think that you would get more out of trying to hire a car as there is so much to see in Tasmania. Ben Lomond National Park is where they have their ski fields and it would be lovely that time of year up there also the views are breathtaking. You could also try looking up the website www.tasmania.visitorsbureau.com.au/tours I hope this has been of some help.

Puerto Del Carmen...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Del Carmen
Level Contributor
2,213 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 night stay in Launceston in winter

I think you will find 5 nights in Launceston way too much of you don't have a car. Walking to Cataract Gorge is no problem, but a car will let you see so much more.

As to city and nightlife - not much of either in Launceston that we could see - everything seemed to be closed by 9pm on a Monday night, even the restaurant at our resort.

melbourne
Level Contributor
6,745 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 night stay in Launceston in winter

i would see if you can get upgraded to river room with breakie

we did

we actually had booked a city view suit with no breakie and i just emailed reception and asked what the diff in price was to the river view suite, and they upgraded me to the river view suite with breakie

try your luck, if its not busy you may get lucky.

but, you can get breakie downstairs in the cafe or room service, or if you get a suite it has a kitchen so you can cook.

try a cruise down the Tamar whihj leave ou the front off the jetty,

Id definetly hire a car, try avis online or there is a cheapie hire company next to where you collect your luggage at the airport.that is if you are flying in, and that was arrival with virgin.

i would email the reception at peppers for ideas of places to see and do, they are very helpful.

hope have helped

Kalaheo, Hawaii
Level Contributor
23 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 night stay in Launceston in winter

We just returned from our second visit to Tasmania in over a year. Of the two cities, Hobart remains our favorite. It's about a two hour drive from Launceston. I agree with the other posts about the need to rent a car. On both of our trips we've always flown into Launceston and out of Hobart. Maybe that's worth considering if you'd like to try both cities and their surrounding areas.

Aloha--Rob

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
106 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 5 night stay in Launceston in winter

Hi, Why are you staying in Launceston there is so much to Tassie and the driving is really easy? It seems a shame to miss out on the beauty spots down south. We loved the east coast and Port Arthur, Hobart has so much more to offer.

launceston
Level Contributor
18 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 5 night stay in Launceston in winter

i live in launceston and agree with many others.

1 cataract gorge is walking distance from where you are staying. this will entertain you for a day and certainly is lovely and romantic with many walks to do.

2 you will need a car to explore many other areas that are close by. a day trip up along the west tamar with gorgoeus views and lovely wineries to have lunch at.

3 cradle mountain can be done in a day via sheffield but again you need a car but if you leave early you can walk to marions lookout or around dove lake.

4 mt barrow and ben lomond are also within day driving. if the ski season has started you can visit ben lomond by bus ( one hour )and ski or have lunch at the inn . the road up there called jacobs ladder is the most terrifying rd i have ever been on but the bus drivers are experts

4 next time suggest flying into launceston and out of hobart but dont dispair.. you can drive to hobart for a day trip.

have fun and contact me if i can be of more help

10. Re: 5 night stay in Launceston in winter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 pm, August 28, 2009