We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mackay

Which Mackay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NORTH YORKSHIRE
1 post
Save Topic
mackay

my family and i are coming to mackay in December. My husband has already got a job in the mines. We live in a small town in England called whitby.I have a daughter who is 17 years and training to be a hairdresser are there many vacancy for this trade, My son is 10 years of age so he will be at school. With my husband been away 4 days at a time i was wondering where is the best place to live to be in walking distance to schools shops and cafes etc. Also i was wondering what work is there for women, do the consider part time workers that have children in school , I have done many jobs eg waitress, school cook ,chamber maid .is there many jobs like this for me.

North Ward...
Level Contributor
1,035 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mackay

In the past 2 years Mackay had gone BOOOOOOM!! The coal mines (Mackay basin coal is one of the world's cleanest burning so is in huge demand) have driven extremely rapid economic growth but it is way behind demand. Available accommodation is nearly non-existent and the price of the average house has more than doubled. If you don't as yet, have somewhere to live, expect to go on waiting lists or pay much more than you wanted to (rents of reasonable places from $A400/week). So being able to excercise choice of location may not be an option.

The upside of this for you is that there is no shortage of work.

Earlier this year, I looked very closely at setting up a branch office in Mackay but found the costs prohibitive with no available labour force so we continue to fly in/out from Townsville.

Best of luck.

ENGLAND S/YORKS
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: mackay

HI WOODZY'S

im from doncaster and also going in decemberMY EMAIL IS TEDLOCK69@AOL.COM if you want to get in touch

3. Re: mackay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 pm, August 22, 2009