We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

flights to brisbane/mackay

Poole, dorset
13 posts
Save Topic
flights to brisbane/mackay

We are imigrating to mackay in july 2006 and want to know which airline is the cheapest and reliable to get us there form the uk(london). If anyone has done this journey or is in a simular situation please drop me a line.

gk
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,280 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: flights to brisbane/mackay

Hi tpsister

There are many many airlines who fly from the UK to Australia. I don't think you'll have too much trouble finding a cheap flight using one of the major booking engines (ebookers.com, travelocity.co.uk, expedia.co.uk etc). I have always flown Qantas/BA between the UK and Australia as their service and in-flight entertainment are great.

You might look at flying into Sydney instead of Brisbane (or even Cairns) as there may be a bit of a difference in price (might not though!). The flights from Sydney or Brisbane to Mackay can be found cheaply on Virgin Blue or Jetstar (check www.webjet.com.au for the cheapest fares).

Hope that helps.

Naa
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
104 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: flights to brisbane/mackay

Price the flights from London to Brisbane first. Qantas may give you a cheaper flight through to Mackay. If that is expensve book your flight to Brisbane and then look for local airlines to Mackay.

Virgin Blue, Qantas have their own domestic cheap airline Jetstar all have frequent flights to Mackay. Prices for Qantas, Jetstar and Virgin Blue are easily found on the net and this is the cheapest way to book.

If you are flying with Qantas from London I would recommend trying to get Qantas Flights rather than a BA code share as there is slightly more room in Qantas seats.

Have a good trip

melbourne
Level Contributor
6,751 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: flights to brisbane/mackay

congrats upon your decision to come to this fab country!!

Have you looked at flying into Aus with Emirates, they have some great fares in economy, and great service.

Although,I personally would stopver, and break the journey, in Singapore one night.

Do you have young ones?

Or try Malaysia Airlines, they can offer sometimes a split class fare, luxury business from London to Kl, then economy to Aus!

Anyway, as mentioned by others, flying into Brisbane, just use online, Virgin B,Qantas or Jetstar to Mackay.

Although, Jetstar, doesnt allocate seating!! And you board in groups.

good luck.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: flights to brisbane/mackay

Hi tpsister

See if you can get one of the agencies if they have flights going to Cairns. JAL or Singapore is a good bet, but you must have a stopover on the way. It gives you the opportunity to see a place that you may never consider going, and the break will do you the world of good.

I'm an Aussie, and have flown overseas many times, and I will never fly with QANTAS. My favourite airlines are Singapore and Gulf Air, but Emirates and JAL come highly recommended.

Mallee

Coolum Beach...
Level Contributor
3,292 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: flights to brisbane/mackay

Hi tpsister,

I am a Queenslander(Mackay)is in North QLD---You are coming to Paradise --beautiful little town --population about 80,000---on edge of Barrier Reef.

The other posters will give you better advice on flights out of UK---I live 6 months Australia/6 months S.E. Asia and always fly Singapore Airlines --bit dearer--but one of the worlds good airlines---emerites are making a big push into OZ--but nowhere near standard of SIA

Once in Australia, Virgin/ Jetstar have specials running all the time.

Go to "www.flightcentre.com.au" and you will get the range of prices--very cheap--try to fly into Brisbane--only 1+ hours to Mackay.Flight centre has offices in UK I just remembered, so if you drop "au" of end you should get what deals they are offering out of UK

plover

Poole, dorset
13 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: flights to brisbane/mackay

Thanks to all of you for the advise will keep you posted.

We are going to book in at the seawinds caravan park while we looked for rented accom. anyone stayed there? and was it any good? They tell me they have some large cabin for hire.

I have three kids and a husband and it was a cheap solution to accomadation while we looked for a house.

Coolum Beach...
Level Contributor
3,292 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: flights to brisbane/mackay

Hi tpsister,

I received your post regarding Seawinds Caravan Park Mackay --I have been through/stayed Mackay many times but not of recent times --the web is pretty vague--gives phone number and address---This you have no doubt!

You perhaps have relatives friends there?--How did you find it?--I will try and phone a friend up there if you wish?--please advise!

Mackay is/was a big Sugar growing area.--one of biggest in Australia.

With world sugar prices falling but recovering now, Mackay's economy suffered a little but is improving.

Mackay ( and surrounds--250klm radius) is now more famous for huge Mining Interests---Coal is mined here and shipped

out from ports just south --Hay Point and Dalrymple Bay--very,very large operation!

Are you( Husband) looking for work there?

If that is case --big money at mines but a little difficult to break into.

hope this helps --tell me more if you wish--might be able to help!

plover

Toowoomba, Australia
Level Contributor
101 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: flights to brisbane/mackay

I've flown between the UK and Australia three times with three different airlines.

Japan Airline - Good, but interesting food (choice of their style or Western style, but little choice compared to other airlines I've used), nice service but felt very foreign to me as the flight was 90% Japanese. I'm not being xenophobic here, but I did feel very much the minority which hasn't happened to me before. Older craft with big share tvs rather than your own individual one.

Malaysian Airlines - Superb. Great food, fantastic service, very good IFE. Very new craft.

Qantas - good. Comfort of everything being in English, food being familiar, service ok, IFE ok and new craft.

I'd rate Malaysian over the others by a mile but you're likely to find Royal Brunei the cheapest.

Poole, Dorset
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: flights to brisbane/mackay

Hi there i live in Broadstone and myself, husband and two little boys Harry (6) and Harvey (2) are in the process of emigrating to Mackay in Feb 2007, do you know anything about the area, have you been there before, do you have children, how old are they sorry to ask so many questions i cant believe somebody from my neck of the woods is actually going to the same place, good luck with everything look forward to hearing from you soon.

Poole, dorset
13 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: flights to brisbane/mackay

Hello,

Nice to see we are not on our own,Mackay seems quite popular.

We have not been there but my husband has a job there so that is not a problem, but the organisation that we are having to do at the moment is extreme. As you are going out next year we really need to swap details at some point and at least we could then give you some inside info from fellow migrants.

We may even be in a position to offer you a place to stay when first arriving all plans going well. It would be good to meet up with you some time to discuss our plans and fears!.