We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

things to do in and around airlie beach

melbourne
Level Contributor
386 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
things to do in and around airlie beach

We've picked up some $10 airfares are are flying into Mackay from Melb on Wed for 5 days. We are staying in Airlie Beach- we've hired a car. would anybody offer suggestions of must see and do around the area and islands to visit for the day. Is there an island hop - best snorkelling- best boat tour company etc----

just like to know the whole gamit of things, - this is our first visit to the area

cheers

Larose

Mentioned in this post
Mackay
Mackay
Queensland, Australia
Airlie Beach
Airlie Beach
Queensland, Australia
sydney
Level Contributor
404 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: things to do in and around airlie beach

The best thing to do from Airlie Beach IMHO is an overnight cruise - preferably 3 days 2 nights, which you would have time for (though the car would sit there doing nothing!).

Otherwise I can recommend both the day trips I took on my second visit (last year) - out to the reef and the Camira catermeran. Both run by Cruise Whitsundays.

www.cruisewhitsundays.com

They also (I think) have a ferry service than can take you out to some of the other islands (Long, Daydream, Hamilton, and at least one other - can't remember which). If it's not them, then do a google.

Can't help with land-based activities as have never been there with wheels. There are some national parks nearby - why not check out Queensland NPs?

Cheers.

Mentioned in this post
Airlie Beach
Airlie Beach
Queensland, Australia
Hamilton Island
Hamilton Island
Whitsunday Islands, Australia
Queensland
Queensland
Australia
melbourne
Level Contributor
386 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: things to do in and around airlie beach

thanks for the info, unfortunately we have booked land accomm at Airlie, so will have to look at the day trip options. I will check out the web address you posted.

regards

Whitsundays
Level Contributor
725 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: things to do in and around airlie beach

Try and get yourself to the Whitehaven Beach Party at Whitehaven.. there are a few company's that will be doing day trips on the day.. speak to your place of accommodation to book a vessel for this once a year attraction.. also for day trips.. Mantaray, Maxi Raggamuffin and Ocean Rafting offer a g8 day around the islands Cruise Whit or fantasea provide a good day to the outer reef (Fantasea for Staff and entertainment, CW for coral).

Whitsundays
Level Contributor
725 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: things to do in and around airlie beach

P.S: the beach party is on Thursday..

5. Re: things to do in and around airlie beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:32 am, October 09, 2009