We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation Xanadu or Meriton?

Which Gold Coast hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Adelaide, Australia
4 posts
Save Topic
Accommodation Xanadu or Meriton?

Hi, we are staying in the Gold Coast for 7 nights in the October school holidays, family of 4 (with 2 boys aged 8 & 10 years). I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the wonderful looking accommodation options! So far our top choices are Xanadu at Main Beach, or Meriton at Broadbeach. Does anyone have any opinions or comments about those 2 properties? We are looking for 2 bedroom apartment, modern decor, sea views, close to beach and restaurants but not too noisy. Budget up to $250 per night. Any other suggestions?

Thanks, Jenny

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5,711 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accommodation Xanadu or Meriton?

We've stayed at Xanadu several times & really like it. Also stayed at Oceana on Broadbeach & that was good too.

Xanadu was particularly good because of it's proximity to the beach, Surf Club, Southport Yacht Club & the restaurants & shops just around the corner. It's ideal with kids - good pools, a gym, lovely grounds. Mirage is probably 15 mins walk away.

We've always had units in the northern towers & on each occasion they were very well fitted out, 2 BR, ensuite & 2nd bathroom, large living / dining room, good kitchen, sunroom & separate laundry.

We had 2 cars and they gave us free security parking for both.

Oceana has a lot of those things too - but I just liked the general feel of Xanadu and Main Beach a little more.

There are BBQs in the grounds and we had kne on our large balcony too. Of course, individual apartment fitouts will vary.

I had to extend a couple of days beyond our original plans at very short notice and they let me have the apartment at the original "special deal" rate and were very kind. Just a genuinely nice place to stay, very professionally run & maintained.

Edited: 4:28 am, July 14, 2014
Surfers Paradise...
Destination Expert
for Gold Coast, Surfers Paradise, Byron Bay
Level Contributor
6,021 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accommodation Xanadu or Meriton?

Summed up nicely above, I would only add If you have a car then Xanadu, if you don't - Meriton.

Adelaide, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Accommodation Xanadu or Meriton?

Thank you for your prompt replies. Yes we will have a car. I really like the decor at Xanadu, the rooms look lovely in the photos, just hope they are that good when you get there!

main beach...
Level Contributor
371 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accommodation Xanadu or Meriton?

If I had two boys of that age I would stay in Surfers. Main Beach is quiet and does not have a lot to do for children nor does it have the range of eating options that can be found in Surfers.

Surfers Paradise...
Destination Expert
for Gold Coast, Surfers Paradise, Byron Bay
Level Contributor
6,021 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accommodation Xanadu or Meriton?

I totally agree OD but I guess the OP has to weigh up whether they more value close proximity to restaurants or being "not too noisy" - as they do not necessarily go hand in hand. Meriton does get road noise.

Perhaps you could look at accommodation within a short walk north/south of central Surfers Paradise or Broadbeach so it is still relatively quiet but you still have an array of restaurants and attractions to choose from.

Daintree, Australia
Destination Expert
for Daintree
Level Contributor
1,061 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accommodation Xanadu or Meriton?

Another definite vote for Xanadu - have stayed four times and NEVER been disappointed!

Adelaide, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Accommodation Xanadu or Meriton?

Thanks for your replies.

We are staying for 7 nights, and although we would probably cook or get takeaways for a few nights, we would want to eat out probably 4-5 nights, so do want to be near a range of family friendly restaurants. Would we get that in Main Beach - restaurants where kids are welcome, with kids menus etc, and within walking distance of Xanadu? We would probably have dinner in Surfers one night.

I had heard that Surfers could be noisy with nightclubs etc playing loud music - we won't be out late at night, so would prefer to be away from this type of noise. Which streets/area would this include? Also saw your comment about road noise at Meriton.

Thanks again for your help, much appreciated.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,754 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Accommodation Xanadu or Meriton?

You've received some great advice above.

>>>Which streets/area would this include?<<<

Areas within immediate proximity to Cavill Avenue, Elkhorn Avenue, Surfers Paradise Boulevard, Orchid Avenue and the Highway, usually has the greatest amount of ambient/street noise. But please keep in mind the advice given by BB in post #5, as not all restaurants and entertainment venues create excessive noise - so it is true that it really does not always go hand in hand.

Also bear in mind that if you're in a highrise apartment in the higher floors with the door closed, the noise is considerably dissipated.

Edited: 7:16 pm, July 14, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,754 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Accommodation Xanadu or Meriton?

Late add -

Also if you're staying for 7 nights, you maybe eligible for a negotiated long stay rate. So be sure whichever property you decide, to make an effort to contact them directly to see what they can offer.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5,711 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Accommodation Xanadu or Meriton?

Hi again Jenny

You'd think I had shares in Xanadu! Don't though - just think it's a great find in a terrific location.

Make sure you ask for an ocean view apartment.

To answer your question about meals for the ankle biters - the Southport surf Club is about 300m from Xanadu and a brazillion cafes, restaurants, take away places, a small supermarket & more just 5 mins walk away in Tedder Avenue. Have a look at the map.

There are a couple of nice bistros in Tedder Ave too - and they welcome well behaved kids.

Marina Mirage & the Southport Yacht Club are also within easy walking distance & again, are very suitable for kids. The GC is really quite casual and there are only a handful of places I'd say don't take kids.

Of course, if they're monsters ( and I'm sure yours are not) there are fishing trawlers that can take them out & use them for bait;)

Edited: 7:42 pm, July 14, 2014