We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Be careful - buying online VIPpass direct from themepark

Which Gold Coast hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
870 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Be careful - buying online VIPpass direct from themepark

Hi

We bought VIP pass for 2 adults and 1 child direct from movieworld/seaworld website before our trip to GC. Ticket redemption at seaworld was fine. But yesterday, we received our credit card bill and we were charged TWICE for 2A+1C.

We'll be emailing seaworld and credit card co to sort it out. it probably won't be a problem getting a refund. I'm just writing to let you know and as reminder for you to check your credit card statements. Luckily for us, we used my husband's credit card and he unlike me checks his statements.

Take care

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
904 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Be careful - buying online VIPpass direct from themepark

my friend also had the same issue with them so there must be a glitch in the system. Good to check.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,122 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Be careful - buying online VIPpass direct from themepark

It's clearly an error.

Phone your credit card company.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
870 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Be careful - buying online VIPpass direct from themepark

My husband said he called sea world's NZ number yesterday (didnt know he has done that when I first posted it) and they said they will refund to his credit card. He has email the credit card company as well so we will see how it goes. Our credit cards are from Singapore and we now live in NZ so it's harder and takes abit of waiting. All should be sorted out soon.

Edited: 6:37 am, October 27, 2013
Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
870 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Be careful - buying online VIPpass direct from themepark

We spoke to them last Saturday. They said they will refund by Monday. Now is Wednesday and we haven't seen a cent back. We have checked with credit card company and there's no money in from themeparks side.

What is really annoying is themeparks Oz and NZ numbers are not contactable at anytime of the day even if you wait for half an hour. We have also emailed them but no reply. Makes me wonder if they have closed shop. I know it's holiday season but not having ppl manning the lines....? Frustrating.

My advice to anyone thinking of buying VIP pass online to save money, don't. You will end up paying double. And at least at seaworld, lines are longest for VIP pass holders andVIP pass redemption. Didn't see ppl waiting at ticket booths.

As for credit card co, I don't think we'll be keeping MayBank card for long. They charge $5, just to get their process rolling on their side. I should have used my Treasures card, at least that way I will have one dedicated person at bank solving my problem. Lesson learnt.

Well, I'll let you know when we get our money back.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,548 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Be careful - buying online VIPpass direct from themepark

>>>We spoke to them last Saturday. They said they will refund by Monday. Now is Wednesday and we haven't seen a cent back<<<

Corporate governance usually dictates that its harder for a company to refund money, rather than charge. I'm sure there are numerous security measures that are in place for integrity purposes. Whilst this seems unfortunate, it's prevalent with any major company.

In addition, the correspondence you received states "refund by Monday". This could be a misinterpretation your side, and miscommunication on theirs. They could have meant, they will 'process' the refund by Monday. This being the case, in a situation where both yours and the company's financial institution were to be the same, it would still take 24-72hours for it to appear in your account. You stated yourself that your credit card issuer is in Singapore, which could potentially lengthen the process further. So realistically, 5 working days (Singapore time), would not be unreasonable. This aspect on its own, is not the fault of the company.

Also, your advice to others to avoid purchasing the ticket, based on this simple error, is misguided. There is nothing to suggest this incident was deliberate or commonplace. I feel that whilst it can be frustrating, it can happen with the best of them, and that perhaps the situation should be kept in better perspective, rather than possibly influencing other families from obtaining a decent and valid discount.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
870 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Be careful - buying online VIPpass direct from themepark

What bugs me most was they were uncontactable. How can I be so sure they didn't credit to wrong CC? Calling them on Saturday and them promising on Monday seems like a miracle but that was what they said on the phone. But I do buy regularly online and VS and Lego refunds are very fast so no reason to doubt if they say they will. Finally managed to get in touch with them through their FB and received email reply. Now they said 7-10 days, which is reasonable time frame if the money comes in by then.

I will obviously take them at their word and monitor closely b'cos they messed up the first time.

As for the discounts, buying online we saved 25 for 3 of us. I'm pretty sure saving will be much less (unless Oz$ nosedive) after CC companies get their cut of the commission on the refund. And I'm lucky that I live in NZ and can call them on free phone as long as I don't mind my phone batteries going flat.

Also, the length of Lines were in this order at seaworld: VIP pass, VIP redemption and ticket booths. We bought VIP pass b'cos it's cheaper than buying separately and also b'cos we thought lines will be shorter. But apprently, it's such good value that everyone buys it and lines are long and slow moving. May be delays are due to them insisting every VIPpass holder take a photo (for souvenir to buy later?)before they scan the ticket. But lines move very fast at movieworld, they just scan and you're in.

Whether ppl take my recommendation or not is up to them and I doubt ppl follow everything they read online. For me I read all the + and - and make up my mind base on my circumstances.

7. Re: Be careful - buying online VIPpass direct from themepark

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, November 01, 2014