We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Goldcoast in early December

Which Gold Coast hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
24 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Goldcoast in early December

Hi there. Am travelling with 2 teens in early Dec to GC. We only plan on visiting the theme parks and need advice on nearby self serviced apartments (mainly I need the laundry - hate washing all the dirty clothes after a holiday).

Would having a GPS help cos we plan to drive from Brisbane airport. Haven't decided actually whether to stay in an apt in Brisbane or GC though. Any advice at all?

Thank you.

Surfers Paradise...
Destination Expert
for Gold Coast, Surfers Paradise, Byron Bay
Level Contributor
6,012 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Goldcoast in early December

Hi,

The theme parks, with the exception of SeaWorld are about 1/2 hour drive from the main tourist accommodation areas of Broadbeach and Surfers Paradise. My advice to you would be to stay somewhere close to the coast and simply drive to the theme parks during the day. The roads are good and well signposted. That said, a GPS would be convenient to use.

I would also say to you that it would be much more convenient and scenic to stay on the Gold Coast as opposed to Brisbane.

What are you looking for in accommodation and what is your budget?

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,284 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Goldcoast in early December

The theme parks are on the main highway that links Brisbane and the Gold Coast ... whether you need GPS would be a personal thing, as in "can you read a map"? They are right there, can't miss them.

From Brisbane the parks are around 40 minutes drive, from the coast maybe 25/30 mins depending where you are of course. The coast of attracts people because of the beaches etc and everything is catered towards tourists ... Brisbane has some tourist attractions also, but more cultural.

The choice of apartments is vast ... especially on the coast, check out http://www.wotif.com/ for choices and prices.

Edited: 12:43 am, September 23, 2013
Level Contributor
24 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Goldcoast in early December

Thank you Beach8um for your fast reply. Accomodation wise, it has to be a place where there is a washing machine and a dryer, and preferably a 2 bedroom apt since my 2 teens are coming along. Price wise, am looking at something below $200/night

Level Contributor
24 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Goldcoast in early December

Thanks able58. I must be one of the worst map readers - much to the annoyance of my hubby! Would hate to have an argument with him on holiday. LOL .

Singapore
Level Contributor
2,245 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Goldcoast in early December

In an unfamiliar place, it is always advisable to have a GPS when self driving. You never know when you would need it. If you can follow the map perfectly, you probably may not need a GPS, but often, maps are not detailed enough in urban areas. Furthermore, if you happen to take a couple of wrong turns, perhaps a wrong exit from the toll way or if a part of your originally planned route is closed because of road works, a GPS comes very handy to help you work out your new route to get back on track.

Edited: 4:00 am, September 23, 2013
Level Contributor
24 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Goldcoast in early December

Thank you for your quick reply!

Level Contributor
24 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Goldcoast in early December

Thank you for your quick reply!

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Goldcoast in early December

I'd stay on the Coast, not Brisbane. It's not a great start to a day out to get stuck in Brisbane traffic.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
13 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Goldcoast in early December

If you're staying for a week, you might also like to look at

stayz.com.au/accommodation/qld/gold-coast…

The overnight accommodation works out at a cheaper rate, although they are not serviced daily. Try Broadbeach, Surfers Paradise, Main Beach and Southport.

Level Contributor
1,651 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Goldcoast in early December

Look on www.wotif.com/ for a list of 2 bedroom apartments. You can narrow down and specifically only have the results show '2 bedroom' by selecting that under the 'room type' option in the 'advanced search' section.

There are plenty of options available. Depending on your exact dates, I would opt for Broadbeach instead of Surfers Paradise because Schoolies (end of Year 12 school celebrations) is still happening.