We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 days in Gold Coast end of January 2014

Which Gold Coast hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
203 posts
161 reviews
Save Topic
4 days in Gold Coast end of January 2014

Hi I am currently planning a trip for end of Jan.  Was looking at google map but I am confused as to how shall I reach some of my preferred destinations.  I am animal lover so I am interested to visit these places:

1) Lone Pine Koala Sactuary

I know this is located in Brisbane but I saw from their website that it's 50mins from the Gold Coast.  Any idea how can I reach there, preferably by public transport as I do not have a driving license?

2) Whale Watching @ The Wharf, Mooloolaba

Any other interesting suggestion other than these 2 - fruit farm etc?

Also I need suggestion of accommodation.  Where should I stay so that I could save on cost, preferably by taking public transport to the above.  My budget is preferably less than AUD150 per evening (for single occupant).

All replies will be greatly appreciated. 

Brisbane Aus
Level Contributor
674 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 days in Gold Coast end of January 2014

If you are staying at the Gold Oast another alternative to Lone Pine is Currumbin Wildlife sanctuary. It would be much closer and easier to travel to by public transport. You mention 50 mins to get to Lone Pine. That would depend on where you are staying and that would also be a time by car travel not public transport. Travelling from the Gold Coast to Brisbane would require a bus to Roma St or train and then a bus to Lone Pine. I don't think there is a train station close to Lone Pine. Perhaps Toowong would be the closest train station but someone else could advise you on this.

Mooloolabah is on the Sunshine Coast so that is a 2 hour journey by car. There are places on the Gold Coast where you can spot whales but January is not whale watching season. wW season is June to November.

Bisbane
Level Contributor
17 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 days in Gold Coast end of January 2014

As the previous poster said currumbin wildlife sanctuary is far closer and easier to access. I live around 20 minutes from Lone Pine and it is complicated to access from the gold coast plus it is no where near as entertaining as Currumbin.

If you are heading to Moloolaba might I suggest you stop at Australia Zoo on your way? There are buses direct to and from the zoo.

You could stop and see the glasshouse mountains while you are there and as you are interested in strawberry picking there are lots of pineapple farms and strawberry farms also in that area.

Palmerston North
Level Contributor
64 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 days in Gold Coast end of January 2014

Tropical fruit world is fantastic. About a 40 min drive south from the Gold Coast. They also have a website :)

We stay in the voyager resort in broad beach, on the ocean front, close walk to shopping, supermarket and restaurants and very in-expensive. Not a 5 star type resort but clean tidy and location!

brisvegas
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 days in Gold Coast end of January 2014

I agree with Currumbin Sanctuary. Nice and handy at the Gold Coast. If you want to see sea creatures, how about Sea World? As mentioned, there won't be any whales on the east coast as tehy have headed to Antartica in summer.

Australia Zoo seems to be very popular, you could hire a car or train it from the Gold Coast to Landsborough where there is a shuttle to the zoo. If you are keen on underwater world at Mooloolaba, might be worth while to make it an overnight stay and do both of them in a couple of days. Accommodation at the Sunshine Coast (Mooloolaba area) varies from apartments to motels.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
155 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 days in Gold Coast end of January 2014

Please think about coming after the 28/1 school is back in.. Prices will hopefully fall

www.translink.com is the site for fares

Buy a go card for $5 then load it up for the trains/buses/ferries.. It also saves you money.. As here if we get a paper ticket there is a fee.. You can get a train from robina to Brisbane..

There are some tours that will take you to where you want go..

Please just don't come before the date mentioned..

Happy planning

Melissa

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
203 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 days in Gold Coast end of January 2014

Thanks to all of you for your very useful suggestions for me to consider. Since I wanted to catch the whale watching, I have decided to postpone my trip to after June. Any suggestion in which is the best month to visit Gold Coast? Or is ere any special local event which I could coincide my holiday with?

7. Re: 4 days in Gold Coast end of January 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, August 26, 2014